Family Law Court Disclosure - Redacted Visa Credit Card Statements Provided?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cupcake

11 December 2014
Can the other party provide Visa credit card statements with balances only? He has redacted all the spending information on it.

Help, my matter is down for Monday in the Family Law Court.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Cupcake,

It depends. What do you need the information for? Is it to understand that party's spending habits? Or is it just to check the balance and how much that person has left on their account. Generally, it is good will to show the full statement because in family law matters, especially division of financial assets matters, one issue is whether that party has tried to divert assets away from the "shared pool" to reduce how much they need to pay the other party. If you want the full statement, you should make a further request to the other side. If they refuse and you have good reasons for wanting this information, you can apply to the court for disclosure of information.

Cupcake

11 December 2014
Thank you. Yes its to see spending habits as well as correlate his financial statement to see if its true and accurate. I have requested full disclosure with non redacted and stated I will ask court if they are not forthcoming. I guess that's all I can do for now.

Thank you.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Best of luck on Monday and hope you get the full non redacted statement.