QLD Ex's Debts After Separation - Am I Liable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shae matthews

17 April 2015
My ex girlfriend cheated on me and moved out. After separation in November last year, she demanded I pay her back full amount of bond ($1400) which I did and she also took various house hold Items like the fridge,couch,TV and washing machine. We had an electricity Bill come in shortly before she left which she did not want to be responsible for, that bill totalled $1000 I payed $300 of it so now it is $700, she didn't want to be reasonable and come to an agreement she just wanted me to pay the lot. I stopped paying after I payed $300 because I felt after giving her the full amount of bond and having to buy myself new house hold items to replace the ones she took not to mention being stuck with a house to pay for and now the bill is so overdue the company is threatening her credit file if the remaining isn't payed in 14 days. (Bill is in her name.)

Is this my responsibility am I at all liable for any of this?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'm hoping someone else here will clarify, but I think that as it was her who signed the contract and not you, it's her responsibility to uphold the terms of the contract, which would include payment in exchange for supply of electricity to the household.

I would argue that you're not responsible or liable, as it wasn't you who signed the contract.

shae matthews

17 April 2015
I know that morally I have for sure given her probably more then she was really entitled to in an effort to make the breakup/move out as smooth as possible so yeah morally I know I've done the right thing but morals don't always stand up in court, just trying to make sure that she cant come at me legally as this woman has already caused me enough financial damage

shae matthews

17 April 2015
My ex and I broke up last November and she moved out I paid her out the full amount of bond ($1400)
and she took most of the house hold goods, she wanted me to pay the whole final utility bill ($1000)
I paid $300 of that and haven't paid a cent since.

Her new boyfriend is a nutcase and I'm worried he will break into my house while I'm at work and steal my belongings is there anyway I can prevent or prove it was him if this does happen?