QLD Ex Introducing Child to New Partner - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tommo

30 May 2017
Hi

I've come to this forum hoping someone out there may have been through a similar situation and can give me some closure regardless of whether it's what I want to hear or not.

Myself and my ex partner were in a relationship for about 5 and a half years and raising our little boy together. We split because for the last 5 months of our relationship she began to see a new man behind my back.

During the time she was seeing him she would of course leave me at home with my son the majority of the time while she went out drinking etc. It even got so bad my son would ask where is mummy going most nights all of this while I was suffering insomnia and trying to study. After the break up she had immediately started taking our son places with this new partner including sleep overs at his house every week she has him (50/50 custody).

My point of view is that this is not good for our son's mental health, especially considering his parents have just split up but my ex sees it as perfectly normal and just this morning admitted to not only seeing this guy behind my back but apparently taking our son places with him while we were still together as well. Her opinion is that i'm just jealous and using this as a way of her not seeing her new partner when i have even offered to babysit during her week if she really needed to see him.

Every week she has had him since the break up she works 4 days and has 3 off, every week she's had him since the break up has included sleepovers at this mans house along with a 4 day holiday away together and pretty much always doing something together, I feel like it's not a very stable household for my son to be sleeping in a different bed every second night especially when most nights hes there she won't call me and let me talk to him.

Basically what I'm asking is do I have any sort of leg to stand on? All I really want is whats best for my son and I feel what she's doing is putting unnecessary stress on our son and also our relationship (as ongoing parents). However I'm not sure if theirs anything I can do, of course I can understand I can't control what she does on her days off but as for my son I feel like I have a right.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Nope, you don't have a leg to stand on. Mum's time is mum's time, your time is your time, that's the long and short of it.

Reactions: Corinne

sammy01

27 September 2015
You have nothing.

Yup agreed poor parenting but that is all. Mate you have 50/50 - don't cause a fuss - lots of blokes would kill for that - don't cause disruptions that could motivate her to try and restrict your access...

Short version - pick your battles - this is not one that you ought to have.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
When both parents are loving to their kids, and not too dysfunctional in their relationship with each other, then most kids are tough little buggers and quite resilient.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney