Ex Deducting Money from Child Support - Get It Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bec S

9 April 2014
We live in different states. The agreement, made in mediation, was we would pay for flights, one way each, for our two children to visit him. Last year, he took it upon himself to purchase all the flights for the year and deduct the money from the child support but where I would pay for the cheap flights, he purchased full fare flights. I didn't agree to this, how do I get the money back?

Rose D

9 April 2014
Hi Bec
It depends on the wording of your agreement. If it says that you both would pay for flights, one way each, for your two children to visit him out of child support monies, then that is what he has done in accordance with the agreement.

It sounds like you need to amend the agreement to include 'cheapest / best value fare of the day' wording. Then he would be required to buy the cheapest available fare for the dates that your children are flying. Having clear wording and understanding of what he can/cannot do will be helpful to avoid another stressful situation next time flights are booked.

You could also take over booking flights if that is mutually agreeable. The you know you'll book the best fares.

You can get help over the phone from Legal Aid Victoria (1300 792 387) and Women's Legal Service Victoria (03 9642 0877). It might be helpful to run your thoughts by them.