VIC Debt - Can I Get Money Back from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kiera

1 February 2017
My (ex)boyfriend booked a holiday for us both and paid for the tickets with my money from my account.

When we broke up, I asked him to pay me for the ticket he purchased with my money for himself (cost over $1000) as he is still going on the holiday and he has refused to give it to me.
So I called up the flight centre and because he booked it all the legal ramifications made it so that I couldn't cancel nor get a refund for his flight, even though I paid and provided a bank statement as evidence.

So at the moment, as of tomorrow he will be enjoying a free holiday pretty much.

The flight centre couldn't legally tell me what to do next.

Is there any way I can get my money back?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Kiera,

This may or may not amount to a debt dispute, which would allow you to recover your money. It depends on any arrangement that was agreed to by yourself and your ex that he would repay you for the tickets.

If it was your decision to pay for both of you to go on the holiday, then it was a gift and you can't subsequently ask for a return of the gift simply because you broke up. The law does not entitle you to remedies where the other person has done no wrong. This is more of a moral issue.

On the other hand, if there was an agreement that your ex would pay you back for his share of the cost of the holiday then you may have a case to argue. If you were going to pursue such a case it would be most appropriately brought in a small claims tribunal or VCAT, which has minimal fees.

You would have to file a claim where you set out legal arguments for why you are entitled to repayment of the flight costs - not simply the moral injustice.