NSW Ex Contacting My Lawyer Only?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Louise too

28 November 2018
Help again!

Thank you in advance for your help.

I now finally have a court date set, 9 September.

Ex is still ‘twit’.

Background.

Currently, have kids every weekend, was until 2 pm Sundays. Now she is changing this to 7 pm drop off. Ex received notice to go to court along with an affidavit.

Ex is now writing directly to my lawyer requesting all communication through my lawyer only. She no longer has representation due to lack of funds.

She is telling them I have to drop off kids 7 pm Sundays and she also stated I have to have kids overnight on Sunday 28 July due to my birthday and all communication is done through my lawyer.

Question:

Who is liable for the cost going through my lawyer when she is emailing them?

And I assume I have to go with whatever she wants regarding drop-offs with the kids, etc., until 9 Sept? I was working Sunday evenings as I’m so broke, and the only chance I get to fit in weekend work as I have kids every weekend.

What do I do?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Question
Who is liable for the cost going through my lawyer ? When she is emailing them.

If they respond to her you will be...

Ex now writing directly to my lawyer requesting all communication through my lawyer only. She no longer has representation due to lack of funds.

You are the client. They act on your direction...So call your lawyer & instruct them to not respond to her emails but direct them straight to your email... If she spits the dummy at that, tell her you are not paying a lawyer for her convenience... If she wants to get a lawyer & instruct them to communicate via yours so be it, but until then you respond to the redirected emails..

And I assume I have to go with whatever she wants regarding drop offs with the kids etc until 9 sept . ?
I was working Sunday evenings as I’m so broke , and only chance I get to fit in weekend work as I have kids every weekend.

You tell her that it''s not possible because of work, she WILL have to make alternate plans

sammy01

27 September 2015
Oh man... your solicitor, your costs. Direct solicitor to redirect emails directly to you. Or have a chat to the solicitor. They/you can write to her saying the solicitor is not representing you at this point in time.

She is just trying to bleed you dry. But you knew that...

Mate, I'd suck it up until September. If u are having them till 7pm it will help the argument for u to have alternate Thursday-Tuesday... Or just thinking out loud write back say 7pm dinner time getting late. Winter getting cold... you will keep them Sunday night and get them to school on Monday.

I wish I could agree with atticus. Fact is she won't be home/ will play games. But the kids are in your care u can't just dump them at 3pm... my idea sees your time increase to 6 a fortnight that will cost her cs $$. Or It might force her to back down...

Go on dare ya.

Btw what happened to the car?

Reactions: Philly2020

Louise too

28 November 2018
Oh man... your solicitor your costs. Direct solicitor to redirect emails directly to u. Or have a chat to solicitor. They / you can write to her saying the solicitor is not representing you at this point in time.

She is just trying to bleed u dry. But u knew that...

Mate I'd suck it up until September. If u are having them till 7pm it will help the argument for u to have alternate thursday-tuesday...
Or just thinking out loud write back say 7pm dinner time getting late. Winter getting cold... you will keep them Sunday night and get them to school on Monday..
I wish I could agree with atticus. Fact is she won't be home/ will play games. But the kids are in your care u can't just dump them at 3pm... my idea sees your time increase to 6 a fortnight that will cost her cs $$. Or It might force her to back down...
Go on dare ya.
Btw what happened to the car?
Hey there Sammy01

Yes so true. She will not be home as we know about her games.

I did threaten to keep kids overnight. However, she said she will be on my doorstep at 8:15 pm.
Therefore I told her I will drop the kids off at her house to save kids having a late night and her being twit at my doorstep and possible even later pick up.

I have the car. Enjoy driving it. Until it goes to court.

I’m thinking phoning lawyer tomorrow and tell them not to go down this money sucking communication path?

So you don’t think cause I’m having the kids every weekend the court will tell me to keep up current arrangements until final hearing?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Mate, I'd chat to the solicitor. Remind me, how old are the kids? Have you had your first hearing? What is the current set up? Sorry mate, just struggling to keep up with your saga.

But if she is telling you that you must keep the kids until 7pm, you can tell her no. She can come to the house at 8.15 but you will not be handing over the kids. If she wants to negotiate a change to the current arrangements that is fine but you won't be bullied.

Mate, there are a few factors here. The age of the kids, my 10 yr old is in bed at 8pm and I would not be letting anyone mess with that on a school night. But also the relationship with you and the kids. So for example, my eldest kid got it pretty early on. She could see mum was the one doing dumb stuff. It is shitty, but if the kids are gonna be ok with staying with you Sunday nights and you can explain it very very diplomatically that mum might come over and you're trying your best...

So I'm likely to contradict myself here. But maybe sucking it up in the short term isn't a bad option. Looks good in court... and I do think that the courts will go for you having the kids Thursday-Monday morning fortnightly as a better option to the current set up. If memory serves, that is what you were looking at?

I'm pretty confident the courts will agree that a proposal where you have them from Thursday arvo

Reactions: Louise too

Louise too

28 November 2018
Mate I'd chat to solicitor. Remind me, how old are the kids?
Have you had your first hearing?
What is the current set up? Sorry mate, just struggling to keep up with your saga.

But if she is telling you that you MUST keep the kids until 7pm, you can tell her NO. She can come to the house at 8.15 but you will not be handing over the kids. If she wants to negotiate a change to the current arrangements that is fine but you wont be bullied. Mate there are a few factors here. The age of the kids, my 10 yr old is in bed at 8pm and I would not be letting anyone mess with that on a school night. But also the relationship with you and the kids. So for example, my eldest kid got it pretty early on. She could see mum was the one doing dumb stuff. It is shitty, but if the kids are gonna be ok with staying with you sunday nights and you can explain it very very diplomatically that mum might come over and you're trying your best...

So I'm likely to contradict myself here. But maybe sucking it up in the short term isn't a bad option. Looks good in court... and I do think that the courts will go for you having the kids Thursday-Monday morning fortnightly as a better option to the current set up. If memory serves, that is what you were looking at???

I'm pretty confident the courts will agree that a proposal where you have them from Thursday arvo
Hey thank you for your reply

Girls are 8 and 8 and 10.

Interim heating is 9 Sept.

Current set up is every Thursday after school to 8:30 pm. And every Friday after school to whatever she decides on Sundays. Currently, she has stopped forcing me to take them Sunday nights as she knows she is one night off me going for shared care. Hence why she has threatened to come over here to my house getting kids at a stupid late hour to avoid shared care.

Yes. I want every Thursday night and 2nd weekend Thursday to Monday.

I have the problem of not have them Sunday night also due to her not packing the Monday school informs, therefore stresses kids out.

So I think just suck it up and drop them off whenever she wants until interim hearing?

sammy01

27 September 2015
hmm, so why not agree, she can pick them up at 8.15 from you...
I live in two worlds mate. one is fight the good fight. Tell her where to go, and drop the kids off at school on Monday. Just to let her know she ain't the boss.

But it is probably better to suck it up in the short term. September aint far away.
I reckon you're a good chance of getting every Thursday and alternate Fri-Mon. But sometimes in court the mag will say that it will stay as is unless parents get an agreement. so you might not get very far at first mention. But talk to solicitor about this one. Their advice I HOPE is better than mine....

Louise too

28 November 2018
Thank you for the reply.

That’s what I’m so worried about court says leave as is until the final hearing. So maybe I should fight it.

Few issues:

I can say pick them up at 8:15 Pm. However, she will be a twit and drag it out to very late Sunday.

I can argue and say they stay with me and she will come out and be a twit by throwing things and yelling and screaming in front of kids. Therefore I look even worse in front of kids.

She will not pack kids school uniforms for Monday.

So maybe I phone the lawyer and ask her. $$$$$

Lawyer replies to her with 2pm drop off stay as is or they stay overnight and drop off at 8 am morning?

Louise too

28 November 2018
Thank you for the reply.

That’s what I’m so worried about court says leave as is until the final hearing. So maybe I should fight it.

Few issues:

I can say pick them up at 8:15 Pm. However, she will be a twit and drag it out to very late Sunday.

I can argue and say they stay with me and she will come out and be a twit by throwing things and yelling and screaming in front of kids. Therefore I look even worse in front of kids.

She will not pack kids school uniforms for Monday.

So maybe I phone the lawyer and ask her. $$$$$

Lawyer replies to her with 2pm drop off stay as is or they stay overnight and drop off at 8 am morning?

Not sure if anyone here has experience/ examples with interims orders??