Estranged Husband Transferring Money to Private Bank Account?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jen

1 July 2014
I need advice about a financial problem I have with my estranged husband over directing funds from our only major customer. Over $ 3-400 K a season is paid into our business account ( under a Family Trust ) to a private savings bank account in his name only that he I have no access to.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Kind Regards.

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'day Jen,
What's the structure of the business?
Who is the trustee of the family trust?
Have you raised this issue with your business accountant as a matter of priority, or estranged husband?

Jen

1 July 2014
He has redirected Payments from our only creditor, into a savings account in his own name. As I have no other income I have to beg for money. We have been separated for six months and he works at a mine and earns around 6K in his hand a month. Our business is seasonal.
Your advice you be greatly appreciated.
Jen

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
There is wrong being done to you.
But given the complexity of the business arrangements,
it's quite difficult to give you any useful advice here.

In any event, it sounds like there is a large-ish amount of money involved,
so you may well be past the point where a few well meaning folks on the internet
will be able to help you.

I strongly advise you to seek the advice of a solicitor urgently.

Jen

1 July 2014
G'day Jen,
What's the structure of the business?
Who is the trustee of the family trust?
Have you raised this issue with your business accountant as a matter of priority, or estranged husband?

Thank you for your reply,
Our Business Is a Partnership Trading under a Family Trust. we are both Trustees of the Trust, I have spoken with my Husband, But He refuses to talk about it. My query really boils down to; can he legally divert all the Income from our business, to his personal savings account? and can the bank allow him to set up the account, knowing that the deposits are income from our business.