QLD Ex Transferred Family Savings to His Bank Account - Freeze It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Struggling

10 July 2015
Can I freeze my ex partner's saving bank account as he has transferred all the savings into his own account and has given myself and our daughter none of it. I have only just started family court proceedings but worried he will spend it all on his new girlfriend.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, he has to disclose all financial circumstances as part of the property settlement, but when you say 'his' bank account, do you mean a joint account or one that's in his name only?

If he moves funds, you can ask to have those funds included in the joint asset pool, regardless of whether they have been spent or not.

Struggling

10 July 2015
It was in a joint account and he moved it to a high interest account but I do know half the money has been spent and I am concerned he will spend the rest before we get to court, I do have his account information

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If it was a joint account, it's important that you keep bank statements so you can show the transfers out of the account. As I said, you can seek to have that money added back to the joint asset pool, even if he has already spent it.