ACT Drivers Licence Banned from Hardware Store - Will Police be Involved?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

seaweedyman

30 January 2018
Purely seeking opinions!

I have lost receipts for items in the past when doing home renovations, and I have returned goods for exchanges at a big-chain hardware store. I recently found out when trying to return an item with my drivers licence ID, that my ID was not authorized on the system. I haven't returned anything without a receipt for over a year now.

The attendant informed me that my ID could no longer be used and was banned. This made me feel as though I'm being watched and investigated for all my returns. I have probably returned $1800 worth of hardware goods over the years (4 years) without receipts, including returning quite a few unused products that my deceased father had (rather than throw them out, I asked if I could exchange and was allowed).

Just wondering if people think this is likely to go onto police investigation, and what I could be charged with if taken to court?

Or do people think I'm being paranoid and have just been banned and flagged as going over the limit for returns without receipt?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
do people think I'm being paranoid and have just been banned and flagged as going over the limit for returns without receipt.

^^ This.

Suggest you keep all your receipts from now on.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Purely seeking opinions!

I have lost receipts for items in the past when doing home renovations, and I have returned goods for exchanges at a big-chain hardware store. I recently found out when trying to return an item with my drivers licence ID, that my ID was not authorized on the system. I haven't returned anything without a receipt for over a year now.

The attendant informed me that my ID could no longer be used and was banned. This made me feel as though I'm being watched and investigated for all my returns. I have probably returned $1800 worth of hardware goods over the years (4 years) without receipts, including returning quite a few unused products that my deceased father had (rather than throw them out, I asked if I could exchange and was allowed).

Just wondering if people think this is likely to go onto police investigation, and what I could be charged with if taken to court?

Or do people think I'm being paranoid and have just been banned and flagged as going over the limit for returns without receipt?

Did you pay by credit card? is so, you can get the credit card statement which will show the store name and amount, and it will be near the value of the items you are returning, at least this would give some comfort.
Hope this helps.