Shoplifting- banned from stores

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jasmine12

22 February 2019
Stupid I know, but I was caught shoplifting today. $25. No charges. The woman didn’t show me ID but had a security guard with her.

She told me that I would be banned from all stores in NSW related to Woolworths.
She gave me no paperwork at all. Took my ID. I signed something- didn’t actually read it- again, stupid.

She said with facial recognition in all stores they will know it’s me straight away. But with no paperwork how am I meant to know which stores and for how long?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Stupid I know, but I was caught shoplifting today. $25. No charges. The woman didn’t show me ID but had a security guard with her.

She told me that I would be banned from all stores in NSW related to Woolworths.
She gave me no paperwork at all. Took my ID. I signed something- didn’t actually read it- again, stupid.

She said with facial recognition in all stores they will know it’s me straight away. But with no paperwork how am I meant to know which stores and for how long?

I guess you learned your lesson. What was the item that you shoplifted? and how old are you?
The woman is the manager at that time, what you signed was most properly a statement agreeing not to enter woolworth again and if so, they may take it to police. As for how long, it may be for a year or so, I am not sure, but this is what I understood from reading some comments here.
Facial recognition is BS. Their aim is to prevent you from entering woolworths, and I can't blame them, they need to prevent shoplifters from all woolworth stores, but saying this, with the electronic age, your info will be in the database, and every store will have access to it (I assume), so if you shoplift again in other store, the first time counts and police will be involved.
Don't shoplift, it is not worth it.

Jasmine12

22 February 2019
I guess you learned your lesson. What was the item that you shoplifted? and how old are you?
The woman is the manager at that time, what you signed was most properly a statement agreeing not to enter woolworth again and if so, they may take it to police. As for how long, it may be for a year or so, I am not sure, but this is what I understood from reading some comments here.
Facial recognition is BS. Their aim is to prevent you from entering woolworths, and I can't blame them, they need to prevent shoplifters from all woolworth stores, but saying this, with the electronic age, your info will be in the database, and every store will have access to it (I assume), so if you shoplift again in other store, the first time counts and police will be involved.

I’m 19, magazines. Stupid. 100% learned my lesson!

I know the facial recognition was a scare tactic.
I just thought I’d have paperwork for the exclusion.