NSW Woolworth banned what next

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I've done some extensive research on this, as a friend of mine was supposed to be banned from a Woolworths store, under the Australian Retailers Association, they cannot ban you unless they put it in writing from head office, simple don't give out your details, police won't come unless it's in wiritng
Perhaps you can cite the actual document you are quoting here... ?

Because.... firstly, anything published by the Association is not law, and
secondly, does not (indeed, cannot) operate to limit an individual retailer's rights
to decide* who can and cannot enter their shop, and on what terms.

------------------------------------
* subject to, you know, actual law...

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Well I guess this is a good thread to see if the moderation of this site is going to improve or not, isn't it. Seems to me that someone is trying to get both themselves and this web site sued.

Xanadu2022

3 February 2023
I had a friend that was banned from Woolworths, so I did some extensive research on this unless you steel, physically abused a staff member, smash up goods or the store, use weapons, Woolworths cannot ban customers from the store, unless the put it in writing, they are in breach of the Australian Retailers Association code of conduct, also rang the police, police can't enforce it, if you don't have anything in writing, from Woolworths Head Office, don't give them out your details. Simply go back in don't be afraid my friend did, 2 days later, and has been back in since, no one questioned her, she has been back several times since, no one has approached her, they have forgotten all about it, we need to stand up to Woolworthsm they can be bullies.
Hi, i read what happened to your friend. I would like to ask, is when you entered the store again did an alarm sound at the entrance? I just got banned illegally simply for removing empty cartons off the shelf. The shop person was really agressive, rude and disrespectful towards me. He then called Security and they were very intimidating bullies and told me that i have been banned. I was not issued a notice at all. One police officer told me that without a notice police cannot get involved. A few days later another officer told me that because i am aware of the situation that i can be charged with trespassing even though there was no notice. I went in yesterday and the alarm went off but noone came to see what was going on with me. I would like to know where i stand. if they cannot arrest me without a notice than im free to go there and they cant do anything. I have spoken to CS and they have sent an email to the Manager at the store to see if i can get this ban overtured. If not then i will need to get a legal mediator to act on my behalf.

Xanadu2022

3 February 2023
After much searching I've found the CEO'S email address [email protected] hope this helps, keep emailing him till he answers. Woolworths are also in breach of their customer service charter, if you Google Woolworths Customer you will get a PDF copy, refer that as well about page 3-4 you should find it. Go back in no one should challenge you, I went back in with my friend we've been in about 6 times in the last 2 weeks nothing has been said.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
  • Angry
Reactions: Xanadu2022

Xanadu2022

3 February 2023
Well thats not acceptable. Im sure it can be overturned by the store manager or a Legal firm. I didnt do anything illegally wrong. All i did was remove cartons from the shelf, making it easier for them. Why would they ban some1 for that. Its rediculous. . Also, legally are they not supposed to ban only for the legal reasons and not a trivial issue like that. i have been a customer there since it opened. Im assuming i can go to other Woolworths stores in the meantime.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Well that's not acceptable.
I'm not sure that whether or not you find something "acceptable" matters very much.
It's not as if you have some sort of enforceable right to shop there.
I'm sure it can be overturned by the store manager or a Legal firm.
Certainly the store manager can agree to un-ban you from the store they manage.
The question is more "Would they?", than it is "Can they?".

Realistically, I cannot see a law firm agreeing to act for you on this.
Lawyers are allowed to refuse to act where a matter is trivial.
They are also allowed to refuse where they are concerned that the would-be client will not take their advice,
or where they are concerned that the would-be client will go on to mis-describe that advice, to others.

I didnt do anything illegally wrong. All i did was remove cartons from the shelf, making it easier for them. Why would they ban some1 for that. Its rediculous.
I can think of several possibilities off the top of my head (drawn from experience both in security and in retail).
Perhaps they thought you might have been stealing, or that you might have been tampering with goods.
Maybe, leaving used cartons on the floor of the aisle is not in line with their WHS and public liability obligations.
And maybe, what you thought was a mere discussion with staff, was taken by them to be an argument, or
taken as you making a fuss and causing a disturbance to other shoppers.
. Also, legally are they not supposed to ban only for the legal reasons and not a trivial issue like that.
Says who?
It's their shop. Outside of the statutory definition of discrimination, they can ban you almost for any reason they like.
I'm assuming i can go to other Woolworths stores in the meantime.
Most likely.
Which is why I emphasised the word "that" in "You are not allowed in that Woolworths."