NSW Theft at Coles - Banned from Wesfarmers Stores for a Year?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jamescool67

13 December 2018
I tried to steal items from a Coles last year and got caught. They took down my ID and I filled out some paperwork and said they have facial recognition and I am not to enter any Wesfarmers stores for one year, they didn’t contact the police.

A year has passed two days ago but I’m worried about entering a store and being charged. How do I know it’s now okay to enter? I am unsure who to contact and I’m worried that if I start the conversation that they will review my case and ban me for life? Or charge me!

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I tried to steal items from a Coles last year and got caught. They took down my ID and I filled out some paper work and said they have facial recognition and I am not to enter any Wesfarmers stores for one year, they didn’t contact the police.

A year has passed two days ago but I’m worried about entering a store and being charged. How do I know it’s now okay to enter? I am unsure who to contact and I’m worried that if I start the conversation that they will review my case and ban me for life? Or charge me!

You can go now, but don't do anything stupid! if the year has passed, then that is it.

if caught in coles, what has Wesfarmers has to do with it?

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Wesfarmers used to own Coles.

The ban was for a year, it's expired. Entering would have just opened you to a Trespass charge. They do not have facial recognition. That one store might have had your photo up but no others would have.

Realistically banning people from places like Coles allows us to up the charges when you do re-offend in the store. It means we can due a dual charge of UTAG + Trespass if we want but the revocation of implied consent to entry (or whatever they call it these days) really relies on you doing the right thing. It's not actively enforced.

GL1001

26 December 2018
There’s no facial-recognition software. They were trying to scare you and it worked. Stop stealing stuff.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. All of the above.

2. The path to inner peace is to shop at <another supermarket>.

3. Don't steal stuff.