Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Department of Immigration Visa Investigation - Illegal Resident Family Member?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by MiizzCarmen, 18 January 2015.

  1. MiizzCarmen

    MiizzCarmen Well-Known Member

    24 September 2014
    Likes Received:
    If there is an illegal person in Australia with no current visa. There is a current Department of Immigration investigation with that person. If that same illegal person was planning to bring a family member from Croatia what is the likely hood of the family member getting a visa to come to Australia? If the illegal person's family member from Australia were to help bring the family member from overseas what are the chances under immigration law or them getting a visa to Australia through the family member?
  2. Tracy B

    Tracy B Well-Known Member

    24 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Missii,

    A person can sponsor another person to stay in Australia. If the sponsoring person is illegally residing in Australia, then they cannot sponsor any other person and any person they do attempt to sponsor under their visa will be in Australia illegally unless they can obtain a lawful visa. If the sponsoring person is an Australian citizen or lawfully staying in Australia and the sponsorship satisfies visa requirements, then they are able to sponsor a relative/partner to come to Australia. However, any sponsorship must first satisfy the specific visa requirements under which they are applying.
  3. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Miizz Carmen,

    I agree with Tracy, if you are illegally in Australia (i.e. here without a current Visa) you cannot sponsor a family member to get a visa and any referral to make will not be treated with any credibility.

Share This Page