QLD Queries on My Australian Citizenship Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Awan

2 January 2017
Hi there.

I am a permanent resident and my Australian citizenship eligibility is in Feb 2017. The thing is, I married overseas in my country of birth in Oct 2015 and I applied for my wife's spouse visa overseas in Dec 2015 via paper based application in the Australian Embassy in my country of birth.

Unfortunately, her visa application was refused and afterwards, due to some personal issues, my marriage didn't work out well and I divorced her last month. When I got married, I forgot to inform Department of Immigration and Border Protection about my change in marital status from single to married, although my wife's application included my details in it, but now I have divorced her as per the laws of my birth country but Department of Immigration and Border Protection is unaware of my change in circumstances as I have not updated my personal details since then.

I will be filing my Australian citizenship application next month but I am confused in terms of the questions related to marital status. Can you please suggest what should I do? Do I need to inform Department of Immigration and Border Protection about my marriage followed by divorce before applying for citizenship? Or this detail is not to be worried/ confused about?

I hope you understand my confusion...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You need to contact the Department immediately to inform them of what has happened.
Anything that looks like what you said on the form vs what is happening in reality can appear to be falsehood.

Awan

2 January 2017
Hi Tim

Thank you very much for your reply. I will contact the department and will let them know about my current circumstances.

Can you please guide me if I am required to submit any document to support my change of marital status or the department will change it right away without asking for any document?

Thanks