Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Debt and Victims of Crime - How to Clear My Credit Rating?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by m mag, 18 September 2015.

1. m mag

m mag Member

Hi,
    I am a survivor of domestic violence. This included many types of abuse - physical, mental, financial and more I will not disclose here...... I am here in regards to the financial abuse. I am not here to lobby man against woman in regards to my personal matters or anyone else's.

So a quick history

I owned 70 % of my home and the bank the rest for 8 years prior to the marriage, the property was in my name and so was the debt. I met my future husband and had a 9 year marriage with him. All finances were put in my name as he had/has extremely poor credit rating with many defaults and bankruptcy as well as being self employed.

The house was re-mortgaged and a work ute for him was purchased which he had full control over.

The violence and control escalated and I had to get out. I went to Rehab facility to get help, then fled the marriage and home. During this time 7 months he lived in the house and paid nothing to the bank which now owned a good 95 % of house. He paid nothing off the utility - both these loans were in my name only. I was always compliant and open with the finance companies, but with no income, no welfare and in a women's shelter I could not pay. He was earning money and gave me or the finance companies nil.

Now please rest assured I accept responsibility for the debt and I am paying the remainder back - so I am not trying to get out of that. But as a result of this my credit file is in ruins - I have a court ruling for the Ute and a writ / summons for the mortgage - I managed to clean all other debt up.

Now the Ute he would not pay for it and I assisted the finance company by locating it's whereabouts and telling them so they could repossess. I am paying the left over debt off each fortnight.

The Mortgage - house was sold privately and there was a small 8 k amount not covered by the sale which I am paying off each fortnight.

So to my question, I was a victim of my then husband and I can prove this with Victims of Crime recognition for me and my child, ongoing Domestic Violence Order against him, by my admission to a women's shelter when I fled, and by me being completely open about my circumstances with the finance companies involved. (And more - the abuse was real and still is) How do I go about getting these two listings off my credit file on the grounds of financial abuse/human compassion. I am trying to rebuild two years on and remain crippled - not only by the debts themselves but the credit file listings.

(again I am not trying to weasel out of the debt)

He walked away with not a financial scratch, cleaned out my equity in the house and put me in financial prison. Literally without consequence. If you can assist me I would love to hear how I go about getting my once very good name back. Please do not judge me.o_O

Survivor and 3 years Sober ;)

Lennie likes this.
  2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi m mag, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

Talk to a lawyer about what you can do to recover funds from your ex. This may be by way of family court proceedings and a property settlement or through a civil court. Failing that, you may be able to consolidate your debts to pay them off faster.

You can also chat to the credit provider and/or Veda regarding your circumstances and attempt to mitigate the damage to your credit history.
    Check out this link: Is credit repair possible? | Your Credit and Identity

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...