Dealing with bills in ex name

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark Tee Kay

1 January 2019
Ok so I made the stupid mistake to put phone contract in my name for an iphone and an ipad for my ex, now she has used false allegations and made a restraining order against me and is in the process of taking all my assests/house (at least trying to).

The remaining contracts are 12 and 13 months, I contacted the phone company back in December and they tried to call her several times to transfer to her name but she just hung up on them. Then I thought you know what I'll cop it sweet as I know the kids benefit from these services (although of course she can buy own sim card easily).

Now she has started abusing the services and running up huge excess data charges, and I can't leave myself exposed to the possible bills she can make.

One of the devices I can disconnect as its on month to month plan and just keep making the handset payments, the other I can't because it's still in contract so I have to pay out a large sum to terminate the service.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar situations and how they handled it?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Cancel the services and then take her to court for the data charges.

Mark Tee Kay

1 January 2019
Just for anyone else who happens to end up in this situation, as I am primary account holder I can log in to my vodafone turn the data on and off whenever I want, the other option is to order new sims hence cancelling the services (they are still under contract).

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ta for the update.

I like it.