VIC Consent Orders made but not signed by Registrar of FCA

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Boompsa

19 December 2016
Melbourne
I guess this is predominately an FCA procedural question re: property/financial orders. I've been separated from my ex for 30 months and we have a 4 year old daughter. It is a small property pool. My ex lives in the family home with our daughter and I rent. There are no parenting orders as yet, but we have a 9 nights (her) and 5 nights (me) per fortnight parenting plan.

Its been a bitter and protracted 2.5 years of negotiation to seek final financial orders being made. My solicitor, who I've had for the last 14 months, has thus far cost me 40k. I don't earn a lot of money and my solicitor's charge-out rate is over $700 per hour - he is a Director at his firm. I have a view that he is elongating the matter as much as possible to maximise his fees. One example of this is that he charged me several thousand dollars to prepare an affidavit - and then lodged the case in the FCA where an affidavit is not required. I'm at the limit of my stress levels and can't take much more of this.

We've had two conciliation conferences at the FCA. At the most recent one, early March 2020, we reached agreement on a payment (to me) and super split (to her). Procedural fairness was sought from my superannuation fund for the super split and the consent orders were signed by both parties and sent to the FCA Registrar in very early April. On 30 April my solicitor advised me that my ex had written to the court advising that she had lost her job due to COVID-19 and that she now could not get finance from the bank to transfer the housing loan into her name. My solicitor has advised me that after speaking to my ex's solicitor that I now have to wait until my ex regains her job and thus qualifies for finance before the final orders will be signed. He also inferred that if my ex either does not regain her job or get finance approved from the bank that I will have to negotiate a brand new agreement.

I don't understand why, after previously reaching an agreement, I will potentially have to 'go back to the start'. I feel like I am being played for a fool by my solicitor and that my costs will never end. I'm seriously considering either running the matter myself from herein or engaging another, cheaper solicitor.

My questions are: In this situation, does the intervening event of her losing her employment mean that the registrar will not sign the current orders? And, why is my solicitor negotiating this with the other party's solicitor rather than the Registrar?

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
Solicitor's always get paid...
Mate on the up-side the fact that you've got 5 a fortnight with the child is a huge win.

The bad news - until the agreement is signed by you, her, and the register it is all hypothetical. So yup she can pull the pin. " And, why is my solicitor negotiating this with the other party's solicitor rather than the Registrar? " there is no negotiating with registrar. They just approve stuff. But she has the right to withdraw the application right up to the moment prior to the register signing. So even if Covid didn't happen, she just changed her mind and no longer agrees with the consent orders, the registrar would not have signed.

So my suggestion. Do nothing at this point in time (maybe sack solicitor) so all corespondence comes to you and you respond.

Yup if does feel like solicitor is just milking you. They are. That is what solicitor's do. But it isn't intentional, hey, solicitor didn't cause Covid... But when you charge $700 an hour, us average punters see that as being taken for a ride because for the average punter like a tradie on $80 an hour $700 seems just a little bit excessive.

Reactions: Boompsa

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
does the intervening event of her losing her employment mean that the registrar will not sign the current orders?

why is my solicitor negotiating this with the other party's solicitor rather than the Registrar?

I agree with Sammy, no-one negotiates with the registrar. They merely rubber stamp what the parties agree - as long as there is no mistake at law. It appears unfortunate timing your ex-withdrew consent before the registrar had signed.

re: Affidavit - it may have been a precaution in case things did not go as planned. Better to have been prepared and not use it, versus not being prepared and needing it.

Need to remember lawyers can only do so much when the other side is being unreasonable. They will protect your interest, but if the other side is dug in and not moving, then all you can do is either fight, or concede.

re: Costs. You choose an expensive lawyer and persisted with them, no-one to blame here but yourself. You can change lawyers but keep in mind you'll be paying someone else to get up to speed.

I don't understand why, after previously reaching an agreement, I will potentially have to 'go back to the start'. I feel like I am being played for a fool by my solicitor and that my costs will never end. I'm seriously considering either running the matter myself from herein or engaging another, cheaper solicitor.

You have been a victim of COVID-19 costing your ex her job. Nothing more. And there are cheaper lawyers.

Boompsa

19 December 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for the replies @Rod and @sammy01. Much appreciated.
re: Costs. You choose an expensive lawyer and persisted with them, no-one to blame here but yourself.

Rod, I wasn't blaming anyone. There's obviously much more to the story than I've let on here but I understand why you would have a predilection towards defending excessive solicitor costs..

@sammy01, one final question if I may. And yes, I am dealing with someone who is beyond unreasonable. It seems to me that the only way forward for me is to take my case before a judge? My plan would be to self-represent until the trial date and then possibly engage a solicitor and barrister for the trial if I thought it required. I understand that this would be around a 25k spend. Both of our solicitors suggested it would be a one-day trial only, and that we might be able to have a one-day trial 'squeezed in' within 12 months. This may have changed due to COVID-19 impact though.

Thanks again..

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I wasn't blaming anyone.

OK, hard to tell from reading some posts. In my life experience (which is long) and legal experience (which is shorter) unless someone has a complex scheme of family trusts and corporate assets to navigate, using a high priced lawyer is not necessary in family law. Any competent lawyer can do the job. Like any industry, there are good lawyers, and there are some not so good lawyers.

sammy01

27 September 2015
wow - slow down... So 5 nights with child? win..
Applying to court? mate your ex didn't cause Covid...She didn't quit he job... (btw what sort of job does she do? pull beers at the pub? gonna be outa work for a while. Admin work.... Gonna be re-employed pretty soon). I'd suggest you sit on your hands. Do nothing. Just ride this one out for a while. Sack solicitor. Minimise contact with the ex regarding $$ and re-evaulate in 6 months. You're not paying the mortgage are you? if not you're not out of pocket by waiting a bit.

Atticus

6 February 2019
On 30 April my solicitor advised me that my ex had written to the court advising that she had lost her job due to COVID-19 and that she now could not get finance from the bank to transfer the housing loan into her name. My solicitor has advised me that after speaking to my ex's solicitor that I now have to wait until my ex regains her job and thus qualifies for finance before the final orders will be signed.
Looks to me like It's the banks requirements around serviceability of loan that is the problem here..... Your ex's hands are tied on this one until she either returns to work after restrictions are lifted, or finds another job that satisfies bank requirements.... Necessary documents are signed & delivered to court... I agree with Sammy, Just have to wait on this one... Nobody's fault that I can see

Boompsa

19 December 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for the replies @Atticus and @sammy01. Once again though, I'm not blaming anyone here - but what I need to do is work through a solution to dealing with someone who quite simply doesn't want to pay me the money I am owed. It's in her interest to do nothing - she has the house after all, and the longer she doesn't pay me the happier she is. If I don't do anything, she won't do anything, and I'll never get paid.

So, if the advice is to just wait - what happens when nothing happens? i.e. she doesn't get her job back or the finance is not approved. It seems to me that applying to court to have the case heard is my only real option from which I can create a solution. I would give it 30 -50 days or so before I did this, as I expect her employment issue to be resolved one way of the other by then. But that doesn't mean she will get finance.

And she will spin this out, as she has done to this point, and continue to delay things for as long as she can - which as I see it, is forever?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Everything below might be for nothing depending on the answer to this question. Is she paying the mortgage repayments in full each week/fortnight?

mate I reckon you wanna take a pause. Next can you give us the math? your super pay to her vs her cash payment to you... Look at the different ways of doing the math when you factor in the $$ for solicitors. Think big picture. Hypothetical based on my experience....

The ex was keen to move 8 hours away when the house sold. Now you have no idea what the ex has planned. But while she is in the house and you have a good pattern of care sorted you can find some comfort in that.

Small asset pool? blown 40K already? Why not get divorced. You have 1 year from divorce to start proceedings for asset division. Get divorced today = 12 months she will struggle to get her hands on your super BUT your name is still on the title of the house. That said, nothing stopping you putting in a court application yourself. That might be the motivator to get her to do something. Might be worth thinking out loud on a site like this...

Scenario: Ex comes to the false-realisation that minimising your time with child is gonna increase her family tax benefit / child support and hence her borrowing capacity. She minimises your time with the kid....
Scenario: My ex was adamant she was gonna re-finance to keep the house in her name... The only person who knew that wasn't gonna happen was HER. She had this idea, like most of her ideas, this one wasn't very good. Her idea was at the age of 35 with no real work history she was gonna get a job earning 50-60K a year because that is the sort of $$ she was gonna need before any financial institution would even consider lending her $$.

Question: Would she go for this: Consent orders 5 nights with child. Asset division XXX super to her. She either refinances within 12 months and gives you $$ and failing that the house is listed for sale at XXXX when the house sells you get your $$$ after the bank is paid out. Now there is some risk here.. What if it doesn't sell for XXXXX and there isn't enough $ in the kitty to pay you out. See I reckon this is another reason to be patient. The longer it takes the more the house will go up, especially in the crazy days of Covid. Banks might be more inclinded to losen lending restrictions because employment records have been thrown out the window with higher than usual unemployment AND while the part of the super you're handing over to her is still in your account making you money...

rant over

Last edited:

Atticus

6 February 2019
On 30 April my solicitor advised me that my ex had written to the court advising that she had lost her job due to COVID-19 and that she now could not get finance from the bank to transfer the housing loan into her name.

So she is buying out your agreed share?

Worth waiting a while to see what happens with her employment... Hopefully she'll get job back after Covid & all good... If she doesn't, well. She can't buy out your share. Not your problem... House will have to be sold I guess? Put time lines in orders for sale - auction. & as Sammy asked, who's paying mortgage currently?

But while she is in the house and you have a good pattern of care sorted you can find some comfort in that.
Excellent point.... Perhaps you should just include the current parenting plan terms in with your consent orders, you can do that, & if the orders are on hold anyway, a good opportunity, just in case she can't get finance to buy the house.... a move may see her wanting to change the care arrangements
Why not get divorced. You have 1 year from divorce to start proceedings for asset division.
That one won't work in this case unfortunately because an application has already been filed