VIC Consent orders property settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BBBBB

6 February 2022
Hello,

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer, as I am now out of funds & refuse to throw any more $$$ at a solicitor who was totally irrelevant & ineffective.
Court ordered, signed consent orders for property settlement.
Family home to be sold / personal property to be returned to respective parties, / monies owing to be returned to respective parties.
I have returned items, other party has not, ex is to get the property listed for sale as he still lives there.
It's been 7 months, haven't heard from solicitor, nothing has happened.
What happens now ??

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hello,

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer, as I am now out of funds & refuse to throw any more $$$ at a solicitor who was totally irrelevant & ineffective.
Court ordered, signed consent orders for property settlement.
Family home to be sold / personal property to be returned to respective parties, / monies owing to be returned to respective parties.
I have returned items, other party has not, ex is to get the property listed for sale as he still lives there.
It's been 7 months, haven't heard from solicitor, nothing has happened.
What happens now ??
Well, the first thing you do is ring your solicitor and ask for an update.

BBBBB

6 February 2022
Well, the first thing you do is ring your solicitor and ask for an update.
Hello,
Thank you, that seems to me the obvious answer.
Yet I was contacted last week by my solicitor, advising that if no action has been taken by either party, kindly pay the invoice.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why are you not asking your solicitor to progress things?

BBBBB

6 February 2022
I have no clue what to do or what comes next, I honestly thought my solicitor would advise or guide me along the way.
What does progressing things entail, back to court ?