NSW Claiming Child Support Backpay - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
As sammy01 has said, the devil is in the details. But on general principles, what they have done is incorrect.

The Child Support Guide (what they call their 'business rules') provides (in summary):
- If an income amount is determined and later found to be lower than the actual amount, then CSA will recalculate the amount payable to the first day of the current child support period. The child support period is whatever date range they've determined, and will be on your assessments; and
- If an income amount is determined and later found to be high than the actual amount, then CSA will apply the new income figure from the next day after the reassessment.

The second scenario is what appears has happened to you. In other words, there should be no back pay. I would anticipate this is another instance of CSA only applying their rules when it works against the payer - and doing something different when they might work in your favour.

As confusing as it is, read here: 2.4.4.60 New Information about Adjusted Taxable Income | Child Support Guide under the heading 'New information about adjusted taxable income'.

Looking at the commentary, and based on what you've said:
- The payee did not lodge their tax return on time (which takes out (a));
- The actual income figure was lower than the amount determined and used previously (which takes out (b));
- Item (c) only applies if they can provide a valid reason why they hadn't lodged their tax return for two years; and
- Item (d) only applies if the payee lived overseas, wasn't required to lodge a tax return and provided the information within a reasonable time.

If these, or other extraordinary circumstances, don't apply, then "the amendment to the assessment will take effect from the day after the assessment was amended, for the remainder of the child support period."

Odds are they're going to argue with you about it. Get it reviewed. You'll likely have to chase it through to the AAT - which is usually where they'll involve their legal department who will likely agree that you were right all along.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yup - ROb is all over this... At AAT you have to establish that they have not played fair by their own rules. Administrative appeals tribunal. Been there, done that. Got a good result because CSA did not apply their own rules correctly and I think the same applies here.

I'd pursue it and take yourself to Bali with the $4k. If you don't wanna go to Bali give the $ to me and I'll go for you....