NSW Child Support Issue with Ex - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Berry

6 July 2017
Well, child support doesn't work like a contract between parties. It's a legal obligation, like income tax and GST, so even if he did say not to pay it, you'd still have to pay it, and likewise, even if he did nothing to pursue the debt earlier, that doesn't mean the debt goes away. The only real exception is if you and he had entered into a binding financial agreement that said otherwise.

I'm not trying to strike the fear into you, more just give you a realistic expectation around the situation, that's all.
Thanks AllForHer...I suspected that...

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yup agree with allforher... realistically he could get this to court. With years of tax returns not done, the magistrate will have a hard time working out who owes who.

I'm willing to bet it won't happen...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Yes, I do agree that the tax return issue will create problems for the Court in trying to determine what the debt would be, if any.

Berry

6 July 2017
Thanks for the clarity AllForHer...I suspected that was the case. That gives me at least some feeling for how this might play out. I appreciate it