NSW Ex has Tax Haven but will not Pay Child Support

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Peta,

I'm sorry to hear this and completely understand your reasons for wanting out of the CSA. I am not an expert in family law, however, I believe you can:
  • Ask the CSA to terminate the arrangement. If they refuse, this can be a new decision you can appeal on
  • Appeal on this decision within 28 days to the SSAT (Social Security Appeals Tribunal)
  • Following this, you can appeal (on a question of law) to the Federal Magistrates' Court or Family Court within 28 days of the SSAT decision
  • Alternatively, you can terminate the CSA by:
    • Mutual consent (both parents agreeing) after seeking independent legal advice, or
    • Seeking court order to terminate the order:
"Terminating agreements
A binding child support agreement can only be terminated if both parents agree to do so after getting independent legal advice or by a court order (s 80D).

A limited child support agreement can be terminate if:
- both parties agree to do so;
- by either party after three years;or
- by court order" (Source here)

peta campbell

22 May 2015
Thank-you Sarah for this succinct response. If Im not successful with my objection I will ask the CSA to terminate the arrangement, and then no doubt end up in the tribunal. There I will take both a lawyer and an abuse counsellor who will know by training what my ex is doing and ensure he doesn't engage in abuse. I hope to find some humanity in that tribunal but Im not overly confident. I didn't know you can terminate an arrangement: any idea on what grounds?

Your avatar is confusing BTW :)

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Peta,

I'm not sure of the specific grounds. I suspect they would include:
  • Unfair on the parties in the circumstances
  • Misleading or deceptive facts (e.g. non-disclosure)
Given it is a family matter, I suspect the grounds are broad to allow the court to cover the full complexities and range of different situations that may arise. However, double check on this. Perhaps you could contact the Child Support Service of the NSW Legal Aid to give you some further guidance, if you haven't already tried them yet.

Display picture: yes, it is confusing. It is Jackie Chiles, the hilarious perfect attorney from Seinfeld.

peta campbell

22 May 2015
LOL, is that who he is :) I haven't contacted the CSS of the NSW Legal Aid but I will. Today the CSA called me . They received my objection. I asked about going to the CSA tribunal and getting a nil nil or an annulment of any order as per your suggestion and they said that tribunal did have the power to do that. So I think my best bet is to be represented by a lawyer :) Thank-you again Sarah. Ill let you know how this next objection goes. So the thing is, I sent in evidence to prove to their error, but its so personal I don't want my ex to see it. So if I don't want him to see it, the CSA says I need to withdraw it, as they have to send everything to him I sent to them. But in his objection last November, the CSA made reference to documents he sent them that they did not send me. It seems so arbitrary. How can I prove a very basic fact without that info being sent on. Its so private I don't want to mention it even here.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Peta,

I'm glad you're getting somewhere with the CSA. As for the evidence, I am not too sure about this. However, in most hearings, the other side has access to any documents submitted by one side which they seek to rely upon. It is to make the process more transparent and have both sides understanding each other's positions more. I suspect you did have access to your ex's documents in November but they were not volunteered to you and you may have needed to request them.

peta campbell

22 May 2015
UPDATE on my tax haven ex and our CSA saga

Hi Sarah,

So off he goes to Paris and the South of France with his new partner, their child and my eldest daughter ( happy for her ) for a whole month ( on a self estimated annual income of less than 50,000. Although he did stay in utter luxury with friends and in his own apartment in Paris, a month driving around France is much costlier than a month at home, and he paid all four airfares) and the CSA meanwhile were assessing my appeal against being ordered to pay him child support. They delivered their decision while he was away. I haven't read their decision yet, even though it came in several weeks ago. I get a panic attack when I read anything from the CSA because I don't understand their reasoning. For example the day before the decision was made the CSA case officer called me to inform me what she was thinking of ordering. The case officer told me she had still tagged on extra an extra 30,000 to my income of last year that I didn't earn. I tried to explain that I had one credit card and I had to borrow from that credit card to meet pay my airfares to Sydney and that over a year that has amounted to over $7,000 of debt I now have as I was not paid enough to work interstate and cover my tickets home to my children ( reminding her that he had a $16,000 child support debt last year that he refused to pay, which if he had have paid, I wouldn't have had to work interstate as I would have had more time to find work in NSW before receiving an eviction order for non payment of rent - then he got out of his $16,000 debt because I was interstate and my care was reduced to 46% and I ended up having a child support debt to him!).

The case officer, angry that I was questioning how she can tag $30,000 onto my income when she had the account from the accountant of the company I worked for that stated exactly what my monthly income was, said, "Oh but thats income! Would you like me to add that credit card amount on top of what we have already estimated! ( which would make a total fictitious $40,000 more onto my actual income that I didn't earn) How can a credit card debt be considered "income"? Then when I said that I also received two years of back pay from Centrelink for school kids benefits that weren't paid to me as a result of the previous decision and then were paid once the decision was reversed when the truth was evidenced before them, she again said "oh, shall I had that too then!" ( which would bring my estimated income to $50,00 more than I actually earned). I wanted to bang my head against the wall. I can't argue against this skewed logic and almost punitive behaviour.

Anyway, so I still haven't opened the CSA decision, and a few days ago I received a summons to the Child Support tribunal ( forgotten the name) My ex is not happy with the judgement and is appealing it. So something must have gone in my favour this time for part of it. I have spoken to the tribunal and they said the appeal is purely on the decision made by the case officer. There is a one hour interview with each party and then two hours at the tribunal ( or not, if one or either party doesn't wish to attend). I can't do this myself because I go into a type of post traumatic stress panic when I'm in the same room as him for all he has put me through and continues to put me through. He has always won in court when self represented because I get too emotional, talk too much ( just like I write too much :) then angry and in disbelief and I can't seem to communicate how Kafkaesque and unfair this whole nightmare has been and they don't know either because, as I only just found out, the CSA doesn't look at the case history to note there has been constant vexatious behaviour or consistent lies and reversals of orders as a result of lies or misrepresentation of fact. They just look at the matter before them.

So Im looking for a lawyer to read the CSA judgement, speak on my behalf and listen to what my ex wants ( to get out paying), and represent me in the tribunal for those two hours as I can't do it. The tribunal told me the official presiding will be a lawyer. The tribunal is in Sydney.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Peta,

Thank you for updating us with your situation and I'm sorry you haven't been so successful with the CSA. Getting a lawyer will help you. It will allow your arguments and facts to be expressed without being so closely tied with all the emotions that come with it. It allows you to take a step back from the dispute and focus on rebuilding your life with your children. A good starting point for finding a suitable lawyer is here: Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You - LawAnswers.com.au.

peta campbell

22 May 2015
I only read who has to pay what and what incomes that was based on and that was accurate. I haven't read the reasons yet