QLD Claim Compensation from Etihad for 24-Hour Flight Delay?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sapporo

6 February 2017
Hi guys,

Quite new to Australia, hoping someone can guide me on this.

I bought tickets from Mumbai to Townsville with stops in Abu Dhabi and Brisbane. The flight from Mumbai to Abu Dhabi for 15th January was delayed by an hour and I missed the connection flight in Abu Dhabi.

I was told the next flight leaves only after 24 hours and was given a small cabin in Abu Dhabi Airport hotel. It was so small, with bright lights constantly shining and noisy. This led to a serious fever which put me out of work for additional 3 days, on top of the day missed by the flight delay.

Upon arrival in Brisbane on 17th January, I realized to my utmost horror that the customer service people in Abu Dhabi had given me a boarding pass for next day,18th January which would mean I would have to spend another 24 hours in Brisbane airport. I immediately went to customer desk of Etihad and the lady gave me a boarding pass for Jetstar airlines from Brisbane to Townsville departing in 30 minutes.

After taking a taxi (16.80$) and reaching the domestic terminal to check in, I was informed by Jetstar that they didn’t accept the 2x23 kg luggage allowance and charged me 255$ for excess luggage. I raised this issue with Etihad guest relations who asked to put it up with Jet Airways who operated the flight leg. Apparently it was a code share flight and they refused to help.

In Europe, I know there is compensation of about 600Eur for flights delayed more than 4 hours. From what I read, there is nothing similar here. Is there something I can do legally under Australian Consumer Law to sue them or ask for compensation?

It's not only about the money but the way they treated me.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Sapporo,

You always have a right to seek compensation. I guess the question is are you entitled to compensation. Unfortunately most airlines do have terms and conditions that state your booking is subject to change.

It all depends on if the delay was reasonable or excessive or even within their control. If you would still like to try and seek compensation I don't think it is something you could do by yourself noting most airlines have strong legal teams in their employment.

I would speak with a lawyer and see if you have a case. Unfortunately I'm sure this is something that happens a lot and I imagine they don't pay compensation very often.

sapporo

6 February 2017
Thanks a lot Lance.

You are absolutely right that airlines aren't very keen and they have a strong legal team. I tried to find a lawyer who would take it, but the two that I went to refused saying they only look at injury causes by airlines. I am sill searching and won't intend to give up.

If you knows any lawyers, please do let me know.

Hi Sapporo,

You always have a right to seek compensation. I guess the question is are you entitled to compensation. Unfortunately most airlines do have terms and conditions that state your booking is subject to change.

It all depends on if the delay was reasonable or excessive or even within their control. If you would still like to try and seek compensation I don't think it is something you could do by yourself noting most airlines have strong legal teams in their employment.

I would speak with a lawyer and see if you have a case. Unfortunately I'm sure this is something that happens a lot and I imagine they don't pay compensation very often.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Sapporo,

You can follow this link to find a lawyer: https://lawtap.com/au/

I would be surprised if lawtap didn't have someone willing to help you. You may also find a Lawyer skilled in this area of Law might reply to this thread.

Reactions: sapporo

sapporo

6 February 2017
Thanks Lance. Will do as suggested.

From the area this would fall under consumer protection law?