VIC China Southern Airlines Cancelled My Flight Tickets Without Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ottoman

13 July 2017
Hey guys,

I recently flew from Australia to Russia via China. Out of 6 flights, they cancelled 4 flights, which set me back by over 2k and cost my time as my trip was supposed to be very short. From Guangzhou to Beijing, my flight was cancelled and I had to buy 1 ticket to fly from Beijing to Russia as I was late for my already pre booked flight.

When I was coming back to Melbourne, China Southern Airlines emailed me on the day of the departure to call them in regards to my flight. First of all, that's a very short notice and do they expect me to be checking my emails on a daily basis when I'm on a holiday?

I eventually got a chance to call them the same day and they were closing office in Melbourne, they hand balled me to Russian office saying you can't fly from Russia to Beijing to Shenzhen to Melbourne as they don't give 24 hour visas in Shenzhen. I still didn't give them the green light to cancel my tickets as Russian office said it might be ok as I'm flying from Shenzhen to overseas and they will close Beijing issued 24 hour visa.

On my arrival at the Russian airport, I was flying with S7 airlines, at the check in counter, they said you are not on the system. After showing them all my booked flights they said they don't know what the problem is. It was 12am and too late to email anyone, so I ended up buying flight on the same flight and had to purchase ticket from Beijing to HK to Singapore to Melbourne.

Can anyone help me with this?

Cheers

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi Ottoman

That sounds like such a frenzy. It is likely that the airlines would have a refund policy if they have cancel their flights. It will be unusual if they do not provide customers of such affected flights refunds.

If you wish to seek damages for the additional money that you have had to spend to fly, the damages would have to stem from an obligation from them to you. In this case, the obligation would most likely come from a contract. It has been a tricky part of law for many years as there has been much debate about when a contract comes into existence. You might find this article helpful: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/BalJlNTLawSoc/2012/12.pdf

If you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me via the link below or at [email protected] to arrange for an appointment to discuss your options.

Matthew Karakoulakis, Melbourne Lawyer: Book Online

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney