Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Charged with Stalking - Chances of Being Deported?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by Paul Jones, 21 November 2017.

1. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Active Member

I have been living in Australia for 25 years with no criminal record. But over a year ago, I had a falling out with a real estate agent regarding repairs and maintenance to the house I was renting at the time, and sent some Facebook messages and emails basically calling them lazy and incompetent. I also left a Google review that says the same.

I have now been charged with stalking. What are the chances of deportation?

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

This didn't happen after more than a year of no further contact.
    What exactly is the charge?
    Or are you just on the receiving end of an IVO?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Active Member

I received an email from the magistrates court saying that I have had an interm intervention order taken out against me, in which it said, "You are a no good low life lying c**t and I don't want anything more to do with you. Don't cross paths with me again"

It said it was a summary offence and that I did not have to go to court, but because I did not attend the court hearing, it turned into an inditable offence. A warrant for my arrest was issued and I was arrested and charged with 1 count of stalking and 1 count of using a carriage service

4. Clancy

Clancy Well-Known Member

i don't know what kind of sequence of events is going on there?

How did you magically come to receive an email from the court? What were the events that occurred before that?

Take it step by step, what happened first, what happened next, what happened next, etc etc? We want a clear sequence of events?

5. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Active Member

1, I received an email telling me an interm intervention order had been taken out against me for calling the property manager, useless incompetent .

2, I was arrested at the airport 6 months later questioned and charged with 1 count of stalking, 1 count of using a carriage service to harass. The messages I sent were no threats, just calling the person useless and incompetent for not doing a single inspection or fixing anything for a whole year

6. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

And what was the outcome of those charges?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

This is the problem ^^

Can be interpreted as a threat, especially when combined with the first part of your message where it can be implied you have anger control issues.

8. Clancy

Clancy Well-Known Member

I interpreted that as being what the other side said to him? ?

I also don't understand that line about not having to go to court but hey, thanks, now your indited?

9. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Active Member

I have not been to court yet

10. Clancy

Clancy Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm tapping out of this thread!

Paul Jones likes this.