VIC Cautioned by Police for Shoplifting - What Next?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mar gama

21 October 2019
If you get caught shoplifting at Coles and they get your details to be put in the database (as what the security guard said), how long will it stay there for? And if the police had given a written warning (cautioned), is it a criminal record under your name?

Rob420

3 April 2020
Hi Mar gama. How are you. I’m in a similar situation like you. Just wondering what the outcome was. Did it show on the criminal background check. Thanks

Gigi26

9 July 2020
If you get caught shoplifting at Coles and they get your details to be put in the database (as what the security guard said), how long will it stay there for? And if the police had given a written warning (cautioned), is it a criminal record under your name?

Hi there!
Im in the same situation as you are now. I got caught 2 days ago. I got a few good answers from this person who is so kind to explain to me what caution notice mean. So have a read.

"The caution notice means you wont receive a criminal record, you wont even go to court. So besides the embarrassment and shame, this is as far as it will go legally.

You wont hear anything further, it was finalized when you signed the form.

If the total value stolen is under $100 and being first offense, its normally a warning / caution (slap on the wrist). Obviously, next time will be different, you would be issued with summons to appear in court and a magistrate decide the penalty which usually is a decent fine / court costs with good behavior bond."

Also what happened to you after the caution notice from the police, did you hear anything from them?
And what about at coles, did you shop there again?

How are you now? Would like to hear from your experience please.

Ponala

10 February 2015
A caution does not appear on a criminal history as it is not a finding of guilt.

DeeBee

27 January 2021
I just was reading about what happens and apparently they can take your photo from your first offence and do face recognition to see if you have committed other offences is that true?

Attachments

• 72DA3D5C-AC70-482F-9A45-CCAB0B6128EF.png
    72DA3D5C-AC70-482F-9A45-CCAB0B6128EF.png
    491.5 KB · Views: 11

DeeBee

27 January 2021
I just was reading about what happens and apparently they can take your photo from your first offence and do face recognition to see if you have committed other offences is that true?
Sorry guys this was from an American site didn’t check properly.