NSW Shoplifting at Coles - Will Police Take Action?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fong

9 October 2017
I was caught by security for shoplifting at Coles (last week) with the amount of $45, and they called the police. The police asked everything and wrote on his book and asked me to sign on his book. Then he gave me a NSW Police Force Penalty Notice that costs $300, and banned me to Coles from 12 months.

This is my first time, l can’t tell my family. I can’t sleep and eat at all. l’m very stress and guilty. l really want some help, please.

First, I want to know will they take any more action to me. Second, do I now have any criminal record for the rest of my life?

Thank you.

Kristy Howell

9 October 2017
Hi,

You received an on-the-spot fine for your actions, this is within police delegation for summary offences (as yours was).

Unless there is other elements than what you have said that will be the finalisation of the matter, you can’t be punished twice for the same offence (double jeopardy)

The fine itself is a civil penalty and does not constitute a criminal record as such (it’s a bit like a speeding fine) it’s will be listed on your criminal history but it’s not something you are required to declare when asked Questions like ‘have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence’

To confirm this is correct you can apply to police for a copy of your criminal record and that will put your mind at ease