QLD Car Roll Away Unattended - Who is Liable for Repair?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ben Davies

8 November 2018
Queensland
I was required by my employer to provide a vehicle in which to conduct sales calls at people's homes. On Monday I left the vehicle to attend my first call. Whilst away from the car it rolled into an Energex pole as I forgot to put the handbrake on.

The car is a right off and I didn't have comprehensive car insurance. Is my employer liable for the repairs or possible replacement of the car? BTW they do contribute $110 per week and a fuel card. I'd appreciate any help I can get or do I have no grounds for reimbursement?

Btw I purchased the vehicle in July 2018 for $2500.00 and I didn't have comprehensive insurance.

Many thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Is my employer liable for the repairs or possible replacement of the car?
Not that I can see.
BTW they do contribute $110 per week and a fuel card.
Hmmm I wonder if this is an Expense Payment Fringe Benefit.
Better get some tax advice about that.
Have you been keeping a log book?
I'd appreciate any help I can get or do I have no grounds for reimbursement?
Going only by what you've said here, missing facts missing and with any unstated ifs, buts, maybes, and exceptions
not allowed for, it looks like you've got nothing.
Btw I purchased the vehicle in July 2018 for $2500.00 and I didn't have comprehensive insurance
That probably makes you personally liable for any damage caused by your personal negligence.