Energex is an Australian electric power distribution company owned by the Queensland Government. It is based in Brisbane.
The earliest permanent electricity supplies in Brisbane were provided by Barton, White & Company, from 1887; this became known as Brisbane Electric Supply Company in 1904, and in 1922 was renamed the City Electric Light Company (CEL).
For more than three decades, CEL competed with other electricity suppliers in South East Queensland, especially the Brisbane City Council (BCC) Electrity Supply Department. In 1961, the Queensland government nationalised CEL and merged it with both the BCC Electrity Supply and Toowoomba Electric Light & Power Company. The merged entity was known initially as Southern Electric Authority of Queensland (SEAQ). The organisation, which was the sole provider of electricity in SEQ, was known between 1977 and 1997 as the South East Queensland Electricity Board (SEQEB).
Following the formation of the National Electricity Market (NEM), SEQEB was corporatised in 1997, and renamed Energex. It established itself as a multi-utility provider, supplying LPG and natural gas in addition to electricity, and expanded its operations into the southern states, and now supplies gas to New South Wales and Victoria.
Up until November 2010, Energex's head corporate office was located at 150 Charlotte Street, Brisbane. The company relocated to a brand new purpose built office building adjacent to Breakfast Creek Road, Newstead, at an old gasworks site. Construction works of the Cox Rayner/BVN Donovan Hill-designed Energex headquarters commenced in June 2008 and were completed in the first half of 2010. The street address of the building is 26 Reddacliff Street, Newstead Qld 4006. As part of the Queensland Government's announcement of the merger and takeover of Energex by Ergon Energy, a parent company - Energy Queensland was formed and commenced operations on 30 June 2016. The new Energy Queensland headquarters is based in Townsville.
View More On Wikipedia.org