QLD Car Roll Away Unattended - Who is Liable for Repair?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Ben Davies, 8 November 2018.

1. Ben Davies

Ben Davies Member

I was required by my employer to provide a vehicle in which to conduct sales calls at people's homes. On Monday I left the vehicle to attend my first call. Whilst away from the car it rolled into an Energex pole as I forgot to put the handbrake on.

The car is a right off and I didn't have comprehensive car insurance. Is my employer liable for the repairs or possible replacement of the car? BTW they do contribute $110 per week and a fuel card. I'd appreciate any help I can get or do I have no grounds for reimbursement?

Btw I purchased the vehicle in July 2018 for $2500.00 and I didn't have comprehensive insurance.

Many thanks

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Not that I can see.
    Hmmm I wonder if this is an Expense Payment Fringe Benefit.
    Better get some tax advice about that.
    Have you been keeping a log book?
    Going only by what you've said here, missing facts missing and with any unstated ifs, buts, maybes, and exceptions
    not allowed for, it looks like you've got nothing.
    That probably makes you personally liable for any damage caused by your personal negligence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

Did the employer do anything to make them negligent? no. There is your answer