SA Cost of repairs to (rented) vehicle payable by employee?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kathy Adamson

26 October 2019
My son works for a florist who rented a van from a car rental company for deliveries. He was asked to drive the vehicle and in the course of doing so accidentally scraped the roof whilst parking under a tree at the direction of the employer. Apparently, the cost of roof repairs (over $3000) is not covered by the car rental insurance. The employer expects my son to pay. Can this be right?? The rental agreement is between the employer and the car rental company, and my son does not have a written contract of employment.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The employer is responsible to the car rental company.

Employees can be responsible for their actions if they are reckless or wilfully cause damage.

Based on your post, it is unlikely your son was reckless. He would be reckless if he knew or was told the branch was at risk of damaging the vehicle and he proceeded to move the vehicle anyway.

Kathy Adamson

26 October 2019
My son works for a florist who rented a van from a car rental company for deliveries. He was asked to drive the vehicle and in the course of doing so accidentally scraped the roof whilst parking under a tree at the direction of the employer. Apparently, the cost of roof repairs (over $3000) is not covered by the car rental insurance. The employer expects my son to pay. Can this be right?? The rental agreement is between the employer and the car rental company, and my son does not have a written contract of employment.
[