NSW Can Building Inspector Sue Me for Slander?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

judy168

16 April 2016
Can the building inspector accuse me for slander when he is in the wrong?

His building inspection report was false and misleading. He made my building inspector go against me and pressured me into making a consent orders through NCAT for the tiler to return. So there was no formal hearing and he won't be penalized for giving false and misleading information to the tribunal.

The tiler had returned three times to rectify and the defective tiling is still incomplete, substandard and not within Australia standards. Both building inspectors denying any wrong doing, putting me through depression and loss financially.

I called him a scumbag and he does not follow the rules as an expert witness. He wants me to apologize to him or he will sue me. What can I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can the accuser a building inspector accuse me for slanderous when he is in the wrong?

Yes, depending on what was said and to whom. Though calling him a scumbag to his face in a one on one conversation with no-one else present is not defamation.

He wants me to apologize to him or he will sue me. What can I do?

You either apologise or do nothing and see what he does. If he attempts a defamation action he firstly needs to prove his case, and then you have potential defences available to you of truth and honest opinion. Without knowing all the exact details I cannot answer one way or the other.

judy168

16 April 2016
I sent an email to my building inspector telling him his a scumbag like the building inspector who wants to sue me. I did not said wrong about them. He did not follow the rules of tribunal as an expert witness. Both tiling reports were totally different.

My report by my building inspector had defects and poor workmanship but the building inspector who wants to sue me had no defects or poor workmanship. I have sound recordings proof the tribunal member found that there was a report that is not true.