British Consulate - Consular Assistance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oliver D

14 April 2014
I have been trying to find out who I need to turn to, ask for when I go to the British Consulate for Consular assistance. I also need to know what category of law I need to pursue and in the event information is withheld from me when i get to the consulate requesting consular assistance/protection?

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'Day @Oliver D,
Welcome to LawAnswers. I have a couple questions before I can provide more resources to you:
  1. Are you a British citizen looking for consular assistance?
  2. Can you provide further information in relation to the type of consular assistance are you looking for from the British consulate?
The British High Commission in Canberra has some resources that may also be of some assistance:
  1. How the British High Commission can assist - https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-high-commission-canberra
  2. Support for British Nationals Abroad - A Guide - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide
Cheers,
Rebecca

Reactions: Jennifer J

Oliver D

14 April 2014
I am a British Citizen looking for Consular assistance.
I am seeking assistance to meet the appropriate Authority at the overseas location
I have a seriouse problem i need to explain to the Consular General to enable us to privately organise such assistance and protection he or she may stand in need of

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'Day again Oliver D,
Given that you believe the problem is serious, please consider contacting the nearest British consular office at your earliest opportunity for further assistance.
"British nationals who urgently need consular assistance outside normal office hours should call their nearest consulate (see below) and follow the prompts for emergency assistance."
  • British High Commission in Canberra - (02) 6270 6666
  • British Consulate-General Sydney - (02) 9247 7521
  • British Consulate-General Sydney - (03) 9652 1600
  • British Consulate Perth - (08) 9224 4700
  • British Consulate Brisbane (07) 3223 3200
Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-high-commission-canberra

Oliver D

14 April 2014
thanks for your reply. I know how to access this information online. Yet this is not good enough!

I am trying to find legal assistance to take action against consulate members who have so far organized to
an administrative irregularity, unfairness or discrimination;
an abuse of power;
a lack or refusal of information;
an unnecessary delay
."

rebeccag

8 April 2014
It is difficult to provide further information without knowing the circumstances that have led you to want to take legal action against consulate members. However, as with any bureaucracy, there's generally a procedure for dealing with the red tape:
  1. Have you filed a formal complaint per the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) Complaints Procedure?
  2. Have you contacted your the UK Foreign Minister in writing with your complaint?
  3. If you have taken these actions and are still dissatisfied, you may consider contacting the UK Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman or the European Ombudsman (I note that you had copied the wording from your previous post from the European Ombudsman website) but remember to keep a copy of all documentation from steps 1 and 2 to support your complaint (and any subsequent Ombudsman investigation).
Sorry if you've already considered or completed these steps. Like I said, it is difficult to provide further information without knowing the circumstances. Dealing with consular issues can be very time consuming, stressful and complex. Like most complex issues in life, sometimes it is best to step back for a minute, identify the outcome that you are trying to achieve and then review all options available to you.

As always, good luck!

Reactions: Jennifer J

Oliver D

14 April 2014
Thanks for your assistance in answering questions. I was hoping i would find legal experts who know members of the consulate that will not refuse me consulate assistance in the event i have genuine concern leaving me in need of consular assistance. please let me know if you know what category of law i need to pursue to further find a lawyer who can make sure i get consular assistance enforcing my Rights

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'Day @Oliver D.
Sorry for my delay - My week has been taken up with school holidays and egg hunts.
Consulates are often small teams and generally operate with a clear mandate in relation to the assistance that they can and can't provide.
Again, without knowing your circumstances, if you are looking to find a lawyer, you may want to consult the List of Lawyers prepared by the British High Commission in Canberra - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/australia-list-of-lawyers
Happy Easter
:)

Oliver D

14 April 2014
Thanks for the post, no delay, this was fine. I have checked the list of lawyers Who claim to not represent clients to the British Consulates. Which is why i am seeking online guidance. No matter what, any assistance i get within Reason will be dealt with in private. Yet for some reason. the staff there do not respect the EU laws for a citizen to get Consulate assistance. should i call the police if the staff refuse abide by the law to allow me as a EU citizen member to get consular assistance?

rebeccag

8 April 2014
Any luck with the British Consulate Oliver D?

Reactions: Oliver D