Paying Off Immigration Debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

allie

22 September 2015
Hello,

I'm trying to assist a friend with this - I'm actually a lawyer on maternity leave, but this is not my area at all and I feel like I'm smashing my head against a brick wall!

My friend has been asked to pay her friend's immigration debt (i.e., physically get the payment processed), because they are in Malaysia and can't work out how to actually process the payment. My friend's English is good, but not perfect, and it makes this process that much more difficult.

I have in front of me a letter from what was the Dept of Immigration and Citizenship, from 2008, stating that person x must pay costs associated with his detention and removal. I believe he was found working on a farm while on a holiday visa, and was fined and deported. The family is now trying to come to Australia but with this debt outstanding, is worried that this person won't be able to get a visa. They have the money to pay the debt, but none of us can work out how to actually DO this. It seems ridiculous, but... well, that's the situation.

My friend went to the Immigration Dept office in Melbourne last week, but they told her to call the general enquiry number, and that has just timed out a number of times. Her English is good, but not perfect so I have also tried to call it, to the same end.

According to this fact sheet, detention cost debts were abolished in 2009 - so I believe the only outstanding amount will be the fees for the 'removal'.

Is there anybody who can shed any light on this, or give me some assistance?

The total debt was $2,404.89, but just the removal is $800.09. There is also a 'destitute allowance' of $100 noted, which I presume means the removal cost becomes $700.09.

Thank you so much for any assistance anybody can give!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If it's outside your field, and they are not formally a client*,
then you know that the right thing to do is to refer them
to a lawyer who is also an RMA.

------------------------------------------------
* Remember the Family & Friends Rule.