VIC Advice on possible privacy breach by DHHS

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JayBrown

5 April 2021
My husband took out a family violence intervention order against me and subsequently the DHHS became involved. The DHHS as a matter of course met with my mother and my sister and her family.

Since then, my sister’s partner independently made contact with the DHHS officer assigned to the case to report his concerns about my husband‘s coercive control of me.

I became aware of this when my husband told me that the DHHS officer had told him that my sister’s partner had reported his concerns.

The only way my husband could know that my sister’s partner spoke to the DHHS about his concerns is if they told him.

I don’t think it’s right that they told my husband who reported the concerns. Is that not a breach of privacy?

As a result, my husband has since taken retributional action against my sister’s husband.

Reactions: DFC101

Atticus

6 February 2019
I don’t think it’s right that they told my husband who reported the concerns. Is that not a breach of privacy?
Not sure about breach of privacy, but likley to be against protocol to name informants ... The VIC Ombudsman's office may be able to help you with that inquiry, & if any wrongdoing has taken place, take your complaint & follow it up.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Or perhaps he told them something that only he could know, and your husband put two and two together.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd leave it alone. You have enough on your plate without trying to fight this battle as well. You will soon learn that DHHS are a law onto themselves and it is best not to mess with them

Reactions: DFC101