NSW 2yr od child parenting cases

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hi folks
any advice on how much time dad should look at when the youngest child just turned 2?

Any advice on how to search parenting cases that are specifically about young kids...

He had 50/50 but that has now been whittled down to 1 night a week over the past 6 mths.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Without knowing anything about the situation, and looking only to cases of average factual circumstance, here are a couple of cases that might be useful:

Hogan & Templeton [2016] FCCA 2935 (17 November 2016)

Lamont & Lamont [2017] FCCA 389 (15 March 2017)

On general reading of cases for this age group, it seems some judges prefer four-hour blocks three to four times a week, increasing to overnight time after a period of a few months.

For example, for the first three months from orders, every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 8am to 12pm.

For the next three months, every Tuesday and Thursday from 8am to 3pm, plus every second weekend from after day care Friday to 5pm Saturday.

For the next three months, every Tuesday from 8am to 3pm, plus every second weekend from after day care Friday to before day care Monday.

An so on and so forth.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Thanks allforher..
Gonna be an interesting one. He is visual impaired, but works full time and the visual impairment means he can't drive, but he functions very well.. 2 kids - eldest is 4. He had 5 a fortnight for 3 months, but as conversation turned to asset division, she withdrew from the parenting plan and he now has 1 night a week.

It seems a bit of a basket case situation. He has a unit in Sydney almost paid off as a result of his parents putting his disability pension into investments for years while he was still at school... So she is thinking she is gonna walk away with 70% of the assets because she is the primary carer of young kids.. Short relationship - 5 years. She is a teacher, so 90K earning capacity... He is a massage therapist - so smaller earning capacity, but he does have a disability pension... She came into the relationship with nothing and he helped fund her uni degree.. Clearly he has a greater need due to disability.

I think he'll get 50/50 care BUT Only once he agrees to give her 70% of assets... Trying to avoid that because I don't think she is entitled to 30%.

he has done mediation 3 times, she understands that parenting plans are toilet paper and only follows it when it suits her.
Most recently she has insisted on only 1 overnight a week - when he was having 2 and sometimes 3 (at her discretion) She is now claiming sleep disorder as grounds for limiting his access. He doesn't believe this is genuine.
Good news - legal aid have accepted him, but he is yet to meet legal aid solicitor.
Any thoughts?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
What was agreed in the parenting plan for the kids? How long ago was it agreed?

sammy01

27 September 2015
They did 5 a fortnight after an initial period of living under the same roof... They also did a stint where the kids stayed in the house and the adults stayed elsewhere when not their time... All done informally.. At mediation they sorted a parenting plan. He had Sunday Morning until Tuesday night.... That lasted a few months and now that she is seeking financial settlement she has withdrawn Sunday night...He now has Monday morning - 6.30am - Tuesday 6.30pm.

Letter from her solicitor says time reduced due to sleep disorder of one child... AND that the ex would consider extra day time access. But no details of how that would work... Ex has already reneged on this and has stated via text message that there will be no additional day time care and the rationale is that solicitor said so...

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Go to court - you know the deal - mediation -> certificate -> interim and final orders for both parenting and property, with a divorce thrown in if married.

Court is the only way when dealing with obstreperous and mean spirited exs.

Suspect you are too close to the situation to provide the advice you'd normally be giving to others.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I assume dad is now looking to file an initiating application for parenting orders and property settlement?

In parenting, I would seek what was agreed in the parenting plan as interim orders, and I would seek equal care as final orders.

It's true that a parenting plan isn't enforceable, but it still has quite some force in Court. It tells the judge what the parents have formally agreed is in the best interests of the children, and in interim hearings, that's the most persuasive evidence the Court can consider at the time.

In our case, dad had five nights a fortnight for two years after separation, and only agreed to three nights a fortnight in a parenting plan because it was better than the zero nights his ex had been facilitating for the preceding three months.

Yet that parenting plan became the interim orders anyway, because that was the only undisputed evidence available to the Court of what the parents had 'agreed' was best for their kid.

Now, the property matter crossover with parenting. Dad can't allude to the fact that mum's unilateral decision about care arrangements is attributed to property settlement because doing so is obviously speculative, and it's also irrelevant. He must focus on the reasons she has actually stated for withholding time, so he can remove those reasons for her.

The reason of a sleep disorder is creative, I'll admit, but also not very persuasive. I'm not a doctor, but I don't know that removing one parent is a common treatment method for a child's sleep disorder.

With that said, though, you know the drill - dad needs to assume this bogus diagnosis is truthful and ask mum and/or the lawyer for contact details of the doctor who diagnosed the kid so he can talk said doctor about the child's treatment plan and if there's anything he needs to do at his house to assist that treatment. Does the child need a special monitoring machine? Hire one. Does the child need medication? Get a scrip and pick some up. Does the child need to see a psychologist? Get a referral and tell mum you plan to book the child in. He needs to be 'on board' with the diagnosis until mum comes up with a new reason to withhold time.

Knock the reasons down one by one.

Re: property settlement, she's unlikely to get 70% of the assets. Even in cases where care of the kids constitutes a significant future need, the allowance up from a 50/50 split is maybe an extra 5% on average, and that can be quickly whittled away by financial contribution from before the marriage and by future needs like blindness. He's probably even positioned to seek 60% in his favour.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I like AllForHer's approach.

Your friend can even suggest he knows a good sleep doctor and welcomes the opportunity to obtain a second opinion. You know the game to play.

sammy01

27 September 2015
thanks guys,
Yep know the drill. He has been confirmed for legal aid, but it could take a few weeks or more. She has already said she is reducing his time even more. I'm gonna help him write a letter back to solicitor asking for parenting plan to resume until a diagnosis and ore mediation.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I would suggest stating that unless there is a treatment plan from a medical practitioner that supports the mother's position as to why she had decided unilaterally to deviate from the parenting plan, he expects the mother's compliance with that agreement.

Basically, he's no less capable than mum of looking after the child, regardless of some supposed sleep disorder.