Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD 17-Year-old Estranged from Parents - Apply for Intervention Order?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Dydee, 3 January 2016.

  1. Dydee

    Dydee Member

    3 January 2016
    Likes Received:
    My daughter has a 17-year-old male friend who is now estranged from his mother. She has in the past kicked him out of the house on a number of occasions, so the last time she did it, he expressed his concern to police and enlisted their attendance at the home so that he could safely remove his belongings before moving in with a friend (responsible, over 18).

    The mother has now contacted organisations with which the boy is involved to have him removed/un-enroled. This young man is polite, well-mannered, has finished school and has a full-time job, intending to join the RAAF. Is there an intervention order of any kind that he can have served on his mother to prevent her from coming near him and/or un-enroling him from sporting/cadet organisations, as he has the capacity to pay any fees involved.

    As he is only 17, who can he get to sign forms for him when a 'Parent/Guardian Signature' is required? He has a reasonable relationship with his father, but does not want to attend his former home or cause problems for his father, so getting his father's signature may be difficult? Tricky...
  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    What sort of organisations are you talking about? How long till he turns 18? Look I think he can explain the situation to the management of the organisations etc...

    I don't think there is much he can achieve via the law / police. If mum was threatening him then an AVO would be appropriate and by the sounds of things it might be an option, but I think it best not to rock the boat...

    The other option is for the guardian to sign (the adult he is living with).

    BTW - he could get the housemate to call the child support agency and claim child support.

Share This Page