QLD Workcover interviews

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Spag_Bol

20 April 2019
Hi All,

Silly question but I just want to hear others experiences.

Who is in charge of carrying out workplace investigations/interviews with witnesses, is it Workcovers job or are they allowed to delegate (palm it off) to the employer to do?

Thanks in advance

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
What type of investigation are you referring to? The employer can often be responsible at first instance.

Spag_Bol

20 April 2019
What type of investigation are you referring to? The employer can often be responsible at first instance.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I meant the Workcover claim investigation, not the internal one.

I have a workplace bullying situation.
I work for a government agency and rather than Workcover interviewing nominated witnesses, Workcover have just emailed questions for management to ask the employers witnesses which resulted in none of my nominated witnesses ever being interviewed.

I’m also concerned that because of this onesidedness, management can and has put anything in that they wanted in their emailed submission.

It just doesn’t sit well with me that Workcover has gone off hearsay since they didn’t get the facts straight from the horses mouth so to speak, rather than the actual facts which has probably jeapordised my claim.

Just wondering if it’s standard practice that Workcover palm off their duties to the employer to do their dirty work or if this is an attempt to downplay the issue?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
State Government rather than Federal Government?

In Vic, in my experience, an email response from the employer is often requested to start with.