SA Workplace Bullying and Harassment - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

simba

18 May 2015
Hi There,
I am currently exposed to a difficult situation at work where my manager has sworn, victimised myself, a team leader, and two others who are apprentices (workplace bullying). As such for my own mental health, I have taken leave and Workcover have been provided with a written statement of the situation.

As no support was provided at work and work safe advised that their communication with the work place was that the situation had been dealt with and yet I had no communication. I then joined my occupational union.

A statement was provided to the union, they have advised that i needed to sit and wait until WorkCover have had additional discussions with my workplace as they have ceased provisional payments.

Evidence was then submitted to workcover, as my workplace advised them that they were providing a safe work environment. In my opinion, as i have not been contacted at all, this remains confusing.

I have been advised by the union to put in a formal letter stating all the events that have transpired.

I am a little confused as to what should be the process and will it conflict with workcover.

Ideally, I would like to be able to simply go back to work, feel unthreatened in my work place, and have the manager informed that his behaviour is not acceptable. If this were the case, I would be happy to go back to work once this has been resolved.

I am hoping you may be able to give some help before I actually submit the incident documents to my employer.

Also, as other employees as outlined above also experience harassment at work, while I am not there, when submitting my document, am I allowed to also advise of this occurring to them? I am a team leader, and believe I have a duty of care for their workplace health and safety as well?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

Has the union advised you to put all the events in a letter to WorkCover? Or to your employer?
I think you should stay in touch with your union and follow their advice. If you are worried about what is happening with WorkCover, call or email them.
If things don't improve, you can contact the fair work ombudsman and see if they can help: Contact us - Fair Work Ombudsman