SA Myself and my wife was caught for shoplifting @ Woolworths in South Australia for items worth 370 AUD on 20/Aug/2022.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Punja Sirij

22 August 2022
Myself and my wife was caught for shoplifting @ Woolworths in South Australia for items worth 370 AUD on 20/Aug/2022.
At the billing counter we were asked about the bag in the trolly, and I had mentioned it was not from Woolworths.
We were frisked after the exit by the Stores Manager and took us in the office where they asked for our ID’s and called police.
Meanwhile Woolworth staff took our signatures on declaration that we should not enter woollies for next 3 years.
Police came within 20-30 minutes and took our video statement.
In the statement we both told the truth that we had shoplifted the items and there was no specific reason for doing this. Police took our ID’s and Phone number & noted all this in their book.
I requested police for not doing any report and we are ready to pay for the items stolen, however they rejected our plea. However, we purchased all this items during exit after all this incident.
Police mentioned that they need to take our DNA sample and will call us in coming week. They mentioned that we will receive “Notice of Appearance” in person by Police for attending the date in Local court.
I have to apply for our citizenship next month and this incident has made my life miserable.
My wife is unemployed, and she did this in frustration, but I was the one to accompany her during bill paying counter. In this situation Can I plead not guilty in this case.
Can someone help me on this matter