QLD Caught shoplifting at Coles and Big W on same day

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ichat2013

8 October 2020
Hi
I have been charged with utag 2x. I went to Coles To get grocery and Paid by self checkout cost $200. My trolley is full as I shop earlier in different store. Then I went to big w to purchase big pillow and cookware. Again paid by self checkout cost $58. As soon as I go out from the big w the security guard stop me and said I didn’t paid for some items. When I see my full trolley I realise i put two socks and chocolates in the corner of my trolley and I didn’t see it. I was in hurry that day as I Have an appointment with my friend and can’t think straight all I have in my head is I Already late for the appointment I need to get out from this shop ASAP. Big w called police and they charged me utag 2x as when they check my grocery I forget to scan 2 items which is honest mistake. I have to be in magistrate court on December. When the police said They done with me and I can go then I tell big w staff that I’d pay for the items that they said “stolen”. So I paid on self checkout on my way out of the store. The items that I forget scan from big w is $35 and From Coles is $20. The police was so rude and aggressive that day until I even can’t remember 100% what I said to them in details. I have no criminal history before. I want to plead guilty as it was my mistake. One of friend told me I can plead guilty online. If I do this will it be the similar outcome like I go to the court? what is punishment if I plead guilty? Should I go to court and explain what happen that day?
The police Said you are guilty guilty guilty with loud voice. That’s the one of the thing I can remember. And they are not happy as I refused to answer some of his questions that day such as what you doing after this, do you work, what did you do this morning etc. big w and Coles are not banned me. Police said I still can go shopping in all store. Thank you for any advice.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
If this was an honest mistake, then the magistrate would be helpful, I mean not hard. You can plead guilty online, but I don't advise of it. Get a lawyer and let the lawyer do all the talking and the lawyer will advise you what you need to do and bring. This is no joke and don't underestimate the process, it will cost you good money (for the lawyer) but the outcome would be better than handling it yourself.
Good luck.