QLD Shoplifting By accident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Blw

9 January 2020
Hi, every week I collect my click and collect order at Woolworths. As I usually have one or both of my kids with me, I usually go around the store and pick up a few things while the staff member goes out to get my order. For the most part I generally stick my items in the front of the trolley (with kids in back of trolley) so that I can seperate my click and collect order from my new items.
However this particular day I picked up a bottle of washing detergent and put it in the main part of the trolley because I had other shopping in the front part, right after this I ran into an uncle I hadn’t seen in a long time and was talking with him for 10ish mins before going to the front counter to collect my order. I absentmindedly put my bags from the order on top of the bottle of washing detergent and completely forgot it was there (wouldn’t have been hidden and was bright red). So I go and collect my bread and on the way to the self checkouts I pick up a bottle of Nutella, my son took it off me and was reading the label and I forgot all about scanning this also (it was never hidden and I only realised my son had it at the car)
Anyway before I even got 2 bags of shopping into the car the police were at my car questioning if I had taken anything as someone had seen me. I quickly told them about the Nutella and that we were going back to pay for it rights after we unpacked the trolley. They went through my items and receipt from the self checkout and told me to head back in and pay. I went back in to pay when the security guard questioned the washing detergent which I had completely forgotten about. I said I had the $$ to pay for both and did so and then I was free to leave however police got my details. The total was $15.50.

I have felt so sick since and can’t sleep waiting for the police to knock on my door about it. Is it likely that they will still come and question and charge me?
I’m not sure if my thoughts are making this bigger than what it was but what I’ve forgotten things before, they have all my details and times ive collected my shopping order. Ive never tried to conceal anything but I wouldn’t have thought I’d forget the washing detergent or Nutella either. Would they look through old cctv from different stores?

I h