ACT Where to Find Sentences Handed Out by Magistrates Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mierd

11 March 2016
Hi there

I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the correct forum ...

I would like to view the sentence/s handed in the ACT Magistrates Court for various driving offences such as driving under the influence, driving with suspended licence, etc.

I have looked on AustLII and on the court website itself, but can't locate anything. I believe a good behaviour bond was handed to the defendant, but I am trying to find out the extent of the charges and the decision.

Is this information published for ACT Magistrates Court?

Thanks for you help.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

mierd

11 March 2016
Yes I looked there - the case isn't there. In fact there are very few cases there for this year, maybe only a dozen or so. This is why I wondered whether they still publish decisions or not.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Call them to find out what is happening. Sometimes courts only publish selected cases. Sometimes they are under resourced and can't publish.

You may be able to request a copy of the decision from the registrar but there are sometimes reasons as to why they won't release details. Not sure wanting to use the decision in a family court matter affects their decision.