WA Is UK Magistrates Court Order Enforceable in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alan L

16 September 2015
I'll be brief, I left the UK on the morning of Feb 21st this year. Unfortunately while driving to the airport, I saw a flash in my rear view mirror. Though no more until July this year when my Mother-in-law forwarded a court notice which had been sent to my previous address, no first notice was ever forwarded to her. It informed me that not only was I speeding (41 in a 30 zone) but as I had not answered a previous notification then I was to be charged with another offense of not providing details of the driver on top of the speeding, this was due in court in August gone.

I immediately answered that notification stating that I would happily pay the speeding fine but as I had no notification of the other offense then I plead not guilty to that. So I have now received a letter from the UK Magistrates court, no mention of the second offense but I have been fined £165.00, £20.00 for the victims fund?? and £85.00 costs. I am of a mind to send them £44.00 ( which I believe is the normal fine for this offense) and tell them I refuse to pay the balance.

My question is, do they have the power to enforce payment from here, keeping in mind I have no intention of ever returning to the UK having just spent a very long 4 years there. I should mention it was a UK drivers licence.

Awaiting an answer.

Thanks