What is a section 22 certificate (or what does it look like)?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stratus

6 March 2018
NSW here. I'm being asked to produce a s22 certificate for the apartment I purchased some time back. I'm told this should have been provided by my conveyancer.

I have all the documents of the purchase (or a copy of the originals if they needed to be kept by a relevant authority) being contract of sale and purchase, purchaser/transferee declaration for stamp duty, transfer form transfering the property to my name, and nowhere can I find or see any mention of the existence of such a certificate or section 22.

The transfer form does seem to hold all the information which is apparently required...except it doesn't have the term "section 22" written on it. In any case I'm advised this is a transfer form so not the s22 certificate...

So what is this document and what does it look like?

Thank you!

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Probably like this: http://stratanorth.com.au/wp-conten...e-Notice-of-Interest-of-Lease-or-Mortgage.pdf

It appears to be the notice sent to the strata corporation to advise them of the change in ownership. Your conveyancer should have done this as a follow up after settlement - it's standard practise to inform the body corporate of the change in ownership so that they send you levies and notices. Check with your coveyancer.

Reactions: Stratus

Stratus

6 March 2018
Thank you once again for your assistance.
If my conveyancer sent such a document a copy wasn't provided to me. I'll have to check with the strata manager to see if they received it. In any case I have been receiving levy notices, etc.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
It's a procedural document, so there's little use in sending it to you. If you weren't receiving notices it would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't done. That fact that you are is a dead giveaway that it has, because it is essentially the only way the strata manager will find out your details.

Stratus

6 March 2018
Further to the above the plot thickens.
The strata manager has now removed me from the strata roll on the basis of no section 22 document. I contacted the conveyancer who confirmed the certificate was sent and provided a copy. The strata manager wants the original which is what was provided to the strata manager years ago. For me the ramifications are that I'm no longer eligible to vote at meetings or basically have any say about anything. There are alot of politics in the building and I'm wondering if this is a means to limit the say of any vocal owners.
I don't know which way to turn now?