NSW What are My Chances of Getting Custody of Children?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Tony - The court would look more favourable at you if you are willing to start with every second weekend over night and then increase in time to eventually having 50/50 when your child and you along with your ex are comfortable with the situation.

Remember it is what is in your child's best interests - not yours or ex's.

Tony.Walsh

5 November 2015
I understand that but the transition till 50/50 doesn't need to take course over one year. It could be faster, because it will not be in the best interest of the Child to not being able to spend enough time with me to build a meaningful relationship. Isn't that right?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
It may be 6 months, a year or longer - whatever the court determines is a long enough time for your child to make a transition to living with you 50/50.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So why not 50/50 when young? Well, look up primary attachment theory. The prevailing logic is kids have a primary attachment up until 2-3. So short frequent visits with dad would seem better than one 8 hour block. So when we look at best interest the age of the child is a factor... So as a very rough guide I reckon you should be looking at every Sat arvo from 2 pm until say 9 am and two 3-4 hour mid-week visits.

Look I don't like the whole gender debate. Can't help but think you're right, though. Dang. So high conflict is bad for kids. There are cases where one parent has been pretty much removed from kids' lives because the relationship between parents is so toxic that it was detrimental to the child as the child was caught in the middle.

50/50 shared parenting works when both parents are child focused. So if one parent is gonna act like a twit, the other parent has to work out how to respond. Sometimes we can't help but want to get mad at the stupid behaviour, but a child-focused response would suggest you smile and nod. So if it gets to a magistrate you can at least show that your behaviour is child-focused and then explain that you're confident any conflict will pass once the dust settles because obviously courts cause tension. That tension will disappear once the orders are finalised...