NSW Video recording of car swaying in front of me - near accident, why police don't act based on the video?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi all,

I have a question, why the police will not do anything if I take a video of someone swaying in front of me that is so close that nearly caused an accident? I ride and sometimes some irresponsible people who are driving don't see me; either don't look or that I am in their blind spot (but doubt this). This happens from time to time, the first time, I took the video and made a complaint in the police station. The police officer acted as they will follow up with this, he said he took a copy of the video and took some info, but nothing happened.
Today, the same thing happened and it was closer than the first time. I did not take it to the police yet, as I like some feedback from here. Will the police do anything if I took the video recording and made a complaint. I like to stress that in both times the drivers had P plate on the car.

Second question, if I put the video on social media, like Youtube or tiktok, will I face any legal consequences for posting that video on social media - the video will show the number plate? I am thinking of this to enforce the police will act on it.

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

thanks all.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Perhaps they have simply decided
that what is in the video is not enough ("not serious enough", so to speak)
to found an offence.
That's their operational decision to make.

As to consequences for publishing - in strict literal terms, yes, there could be consequences.
But when you consider the amount of "bad driver" dashcam footage that is circulating already,
the prospect of something adverse actually happening is... minimal

Lastly - police do not generally react well to people trying to "force them to act".
And all they'll probably do is write a TIN anyway.