VIC Vic roads saying I have to complete a course the courts never ordered?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Likely because Vic Roads have put it into the regulations. Forget court orders. VicRoads do not need court orders when the regulations mandate driving courses have to be completed.

Multiple offences mean stage 1 and stage 2 courses both have to be done.

Without knowing the offences I will not check. To be clear here, I am not going to read through the Road Safety Act (RSA) looking for possible offences he MAY have been charged with. Tell me the RSA section and subsection and I'll check.

Else you will just have to accept the VicRoads decision. They are probably right, however I have it withdraw from what it claimed was a mandatory health check with a well worded letter.

Ale

4 November 2023
I don’t know anything about the RSA subsection I’ve checked the docs I have no idea. I don’t have the police brief we got rid of that months ago.
I’m following up with vic roads anyway, when I questioned them they had no answers for me and until they do I’m not accepting what they say. I’ve also never heard that anyone else in this situation had to do this course either.
What you’re saying makes sense but this certainly wasn’t what was explained to us at all. It just seems like all this has been sprung on us with no consultation. Typical vic roads really.
What do you mean a mandatory health check that was withdrawn ? That’s what I would like to happen to have this withdrawn and that’s what my aim is by contacting vic roads and asking for an explanation

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I’m following up with vic roads anyway
Ask them what regulation they are relying on to force a stage 2 course.

And yes, typically no-one explains this to people. The court probably mentioned something about VicRoads, but the court tends to be brief in their explanation, it is easily missed with everything else happening, and the court can't change it anyway.

Ale

4 November 2023
Thanks that’s really helpful. They didn’t say anything about vic roads apart from the handing of the licence in. I will update when I have received a reply from them.