LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Travel on Student Visa after getting Bridging Visa A

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Fahad Khan, 10 July 2015.

1. Fahad Khan

Fahad Khan Member

Dear all,

I am a little confused. I have completed my Master degree so my course has been finished, I applied for temporary graduate visa (485) and hence I got the bridging visa A which is not effective as of now because my student visa is in effect until 24 sep 2015.

I have planned to travel overseas from 15 july 2015 to 4 sep 2015 (before the student visa expires).

My question is, do I need to get the bridging visa B before travelling? My understanding is that since I am on my student visa (and not on bridging A) so that means I can travel without getting bridging B?

Please help/assist/clarify if you can as soon as possible because there are only 5 days remaining in my travel.

Thank you,
    Khan

P.S. The bridging visa A grant letter states these following points: (and I quote)

"About your bridging visa:
    This bridging visa is not in effect because your Student (Temporary) visa is currently in
    effect.

Travel overseas:
    This bridging visa only allows you to remain in Australia. When you leave Australia, your
    bridging visa will cease.
    As you are a holder of valid Student (Temporary) visa that allows you to leave and return to
    Australia, the department recommends that you either:

● apply for and be granted a Bridging visa B (which you can only do if you already hold a
    Bridging visa A or a Bridging visa B) before you travel or
    ● contact your case officer as soon as you return to Australia."

Thank you all, please assist if you can.

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi there,

You should call the Department of Immigration for specific visa advice.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi Fahad,

From my understanding, this means:
    • While you are on your student visa, you can leave and enter Australia;
    • If you leave and they re-enter Australia before your student visa expires, you do not need a Bridging Visa B (because you are entering Australia under your student visa);
    • If you leave Australia before your student visa expires but re-enter after it expires, you will need to either apply for a Bridging Visa B (which will allow you to re-enter Australia, since you will no longer be able to re-enter Australia under your student visa) or contact your case officer before you leave so they can help you make arrangements for re-entry.
    Your Bridging Visa A only allows you to remain in Australia but will not allow you to enter Australia should you be overseas at anytime after your student visa expires.

Hope this makes sense.