NSW Travel on Student Visa after getting Bridging Visa A

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fahad Khan

10 July 2015
Dear all,

I am a little confused. I have completed my Master degree so my course has been finished, I applied for temporary graduate visa (485) and hence I got the bridging visa A which is not effective as of now because my student visa is in effect until 24 sep 2015.

I have planned to travel overseas from 15 july 2015 to 4 sep 2015 (before the student visa expires).

My question is, do I need to get the bridging visa B before travelling? My understanding is that since I am on my student visa (and not on bridging A) so that means I can travel without getting bridging B?

Please help/assist/clarify if you can as soon as possible because there are only 5 days remaining in my travel.

Thank you,
Khan

P.S. The bridging visa A grant letter states these following points: (and I quote)

"About your bridging visa:
This bridging visa is not in effect because your Student (Temporary) visa is currently in
effect.

Travel overseas:
This bridging visa only allows you to remain in Australia. When you leave Australia, your
bridging visa will cease.
As you are a holder of valid Student (Temporary) visa that allows you to leave and return to
Australia, the department recommends that you either:

● apply for and be granted a Bridging visa B (which you can only do if you already hold a
Bridging visa A or a Bridging visa B) before you travel or
● contact your case officer as soon as you return to Australia."

Thank you all, please assist if you can.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

You should call the Department of Immigration for specific visa advice.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Fahad,

From my understanding, this means:
  • While you are on your student visa, you can leave and enter Australia;
  • If you leave and they re-enter Australia before your student visa expires, you do not need a Bridging Visa B (because you are entering Australia under your student visa);
  • If you leave Australia before your student visa expires but re-enter after it expires, you will need to either apply for a Bridging Visa B (which will allow you to re-enter Australia, since you will no longer be able to re-enter Australia under your student visa) or contact your case officer before you leave so they can help you make arrangements for re-entry.
Your Bridging Visa A only allows you to remain in Australia but will not allow you to enter Australia should you be overseas at anytime after your student visa expires.

Hope this makes sense.