Can I file a divorce (my ex) if I am on bridging visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


15 January 2018
I am not an Australian. when I was student I had love and married to non Australian lady (married in NSW.). Time flies, we have been separated almost 5 years. My new wife sponsor me for partner visa (De Facto) subclasses 820 and 801. Now, I am on Bridging visa A (BVA) which says;

"A Bridging visa A (BVA) is a temporary visa. It can be granted if you lodge an application in Australia for a new substantive visa while you still hold a current substantive visa. It allows you to remain lawfully in Australia after your current substantive visa ends and while your new substantive visa application is being processed. A substantive visa is any visa which is not a bridging visa or a criminal justice visa or an enforcement visa."

(refer to: Bridging visa A - BVA - (subclass 010) )

Presently, I am living in NSW., waiting for permanent resident visa. I intend to continue living in Australia. Am I eligible to apply for a divorce (My ex) in Australia?
Last edited by a moderator: