QLD Shoplifted out of panick, did not get caught, will police follow up?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

brettws

31 July 2023
I Shoplifted abput $50 worth of groceries from coles last week. Very ashamed of myself, no excuse that i have resorted to stealing when honest people are working hard and paying to make ends meet. I am remorseful and needing advice if i need to turn myself in or risk prosecution by police

i was grocery shopping last week and had 2 bags of groceries which I paid for from coles. On the way home I realised I have forgotten about milk and u turned back. I brought the paid bags of groceries back into coles as I had Ice cream and did not want it to be melt in the car.

I went back into coles and grabbed a bottle of milk, but got distracted by a few other things and placed them the bags of groceries that I had paid for, thinking that I'd remember to pay for them.

At the check out, I placed the milk onto The registered, and had a moment where I thought to myself I can get away by not paying for everything new in the bag since I have a receipt to show I just paid 10 minute ago.

The register lady asked if I paid for those things in the bag, and I panicked, thinking that I have been caught shoplifting, and said yes I did pay for them earlier but came back for milk as I forgot.

I paid for the milk with my credit card and loyalty card, and left the shop with unpaid goods in my other grocery bag.

After I left the store, I stopped for a minute and wanted to turn back to say I forgotten about some of the other items in my bag, but I was worried about being prosecuted, and so walked back to my car and drove off.

Since th indictment I have been just sick to the stomach and depressed, and worried about being reported to police if the register lady did review cctv footages.

I have most definitely learnt my lession that it doesn't pay to steal. Is it likely that the shop will go through cctv and report me to the police.